Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lifetime Warranty 5 Year Inspection Time

Old 12-28-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Warranty 5 Year Inspection Time

The time has come for my 5 year inspection. With the exception of replacing my x model tires and runs with rubi tires and runs the vehicle is totally stock. 2007 model bought in Nov 06. 151,000 miles on it. Purchased the warranty when it became available. It has already paid for itself with new gas tank, new lock cylinders, engine seal...

Will the upgraded tires and runs be an issue?

Has anyone else gone through the inspection yet? Is it painless or painful? Apprehensive that somehow the warranty will be voided
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jonrdt
The time has come for my 5 year inspection. With the exception of replacing my x model tires and runs with rubi tires and runs the vehicle is totally stock. 2007 model bought in Nov 06. 151,000 miles on it. Purchased the warranty when it became available. It has already paid for itself with new gas tank, new lock cylinders, engine seal...

Has anyone else gone through the inspection yet? Is it painless or painful? Apprehensive that somehow the warranty will be voided
Im not sure about keeping this up to date. My 07 has 80K on her also. My warranty is the "Lifetime Limited". The limited part means that "wear and tear" isn't covered. I've had no issues so far. I'm thinking that I would probably get screwed by the "limited" part of the warranty if anything should go wrong now.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Im not sure about keeping this up to date. My 07 has 80K on her also. My warranty is the "Lifetime Limited". The limited part means that "wear and tear" isn't covered. I've had no issues so far. I'm thinking that I would probably get screwed by the "limited" part of the warranty if anything should go wrong now.
My '08 also has the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty. Limited doesn't mean wear and tear items are not covered.
For example, seals can be considered wear and tear items, but they are specifically covered.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

I actally have the lifetime max care warranty
Old 12-28-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

please let us know how it goes.
I want to know if they are gonna bring up oil change receipts and such.

I have my inspection time coming up this August.
I just want to know what if any kinds of questions they are gonna ask
or if my 2" lift and 33's are gonna make them try to flag me and void my lifetime warranty.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, 151,000 miles, I think you have the record so far...
Old 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonrdt

They better not be! I've got my lifetime warranty 5-year inspection next year and I have 38" tires, a 6" lift and dual D60 axles under mine. I still expect them to honor the engine/tranny/t-case portion of the lifetime warranty...
Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

My understanding is that they'd have to show that the modification had something to do with the failure. I've got a 2" spacer lift and 33 inch tires, too. If they try to deny any warranty claims on the drive train, they'd better be prepared to defend that decision in a legal proceeding. That will be tough for them to do, considering Jeep offers lift kits as dealer installed options, including a 2" spacer lift they particularly market for the MW3 edition.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

No inspection necessary. Called the dealership today to schedule the inspection and as told that I do not need an inspection. I insisted I did and they gave me the number for service Contracts. It was explained to me that because my warranty was "Lifetime maximum care for 3/36 warranty owners" I was not required to get a five year inspection. I came home and read the plan and do not see a requirement for a 5 year inspection. I assume it would be under the "YOUR RESPONSIBILITY" section but it is not there.

I did find a clause that if the repairs exceed the value of the vehicle than they will pay only the value of the vehicle and cancel the remainder of the contract. I was not aware of this clause. So much for my idea of having a Jeep for my 5 year old with a maximum repair bill of $100. At my current pace when she turns 16 the jeep will be 16 years old with roughly 450,000 miles on it I think the cost of an engine replacement may exceed the NADA value of the Jeep.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
They better not be! I've got my lifetime warranty 5-year inspection next year and I have 38" tires, a 6" lift and dual D60 axles under mine. I still expect them to honor the engine/tranny/t-case portion of the lifetime warranty...
I understand your point but there is a slight difference between the two scenarios. Upgrading form the stock steel wheels to Rubi tires and rims is in my mind a pretty minor change and voiding the warranty would be splitting hairs. However I am not an expert on the degree of additional stress the larger tires put on components.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty 5 Year Inspection Time