JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   LIFT or BUMPERS (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/lift-bumpers-284136/)

Yuriy 08-25-2013 05:14 AM

LIFT or BUMPERS

I'm trying to decided what to get next and I can't make up my mind. I'm looking for opinions. What should I get front and rear bumpers, or a lift? It's my DD, so it's 99% on the road.

GIJK 08-25-2013 05:49 AM

Bumpers, don't modify your suspension if your not going to use it.

kh202 08-25-2013 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by GIJK (Post 3658456)
Bumpers, don't modify your suspension if your not going to use it.

At the same time, I wouldn't spend hundreds on bumpers if you're not going to use it :dontknow:

What is your budget and tire size plans in the future?

Yuriy 08-25-2013 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by kh202 (Post 3658465)
At the same time, I say don't spend spend hundreds on bumpers if you're not going to use it :dontknow:

What is your budget and tire size plans in the future?

I've ordered 285/70/17 Dyratracs, they should arrive in a week or so.

My budget is $1000.

kh202 08-25-2013 06:10 AM

I'd cut the fenders and wheel it, but that's you're call. Don't really have to lift it with those.

Yuriy 08-25-2013 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by kh202 (Post 3658475)
I'd cut the fenders and wheel it, but that's you're call. Don't really have to lift it with those.

You don't think it'll be too low with aftermarket bumpers? I hate the look of stock bumpers!

Jonathan_JK 08-25-2013 06:27 AM

I'm with the other guys. Don't drastically modify the suspension if your going to Drive you Jeep as a DD. I would spend $110 on a RC 1.25" and then get Bumpers. Even though you wont be driving off road the bumpers will protect your Jeep from Front and Rear end accidents. It will also give your Jeep a Custom look and you will be able to recognize it in a parking lot among other Jeeps in the parking lots you visit.

A small body lift will give you the clearance you need to run the tires and you can upgrade the suspension on top of the body lift at a later date if you decide to modify it anyways.

The body lift you can do in a day with basic tools and a high lift jack to raise the body to put the body lift pucks in.

Suspension will take longer to do yourself and more tools. It will also change your steering geometry if not done right.

Overall 1K is not a lot money to modify a Jeep. Unfortunately our money does not stretch as far as it used to. Good luck on your mods whatever route you decide.

Jersey_Devil 08-25-2013 06:29 AM

Ur not wheeling much....I'd buy a cheap daystar spacer kit for around $200 and e-auto grills front and rear bumper combo off ebay for like$600-$700

Yuriy 08-25-2013 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK (Post 3658483)
I'm with the other guys. Don't drastically modify the suspension if your going to Drive you Jeep as a DD. I would spend $110 on a RC 1.25" and then get Bumpers. Even though you wont be driving off road the bumpers will protect your Jeep from Front and Rear end accidents. It will also give your Jeep a Custom look and you will be able to recognize it in a parking lot among other Jeeps in the parking lots you visit.

A small body lift will give you the clearance you need to run the tires and you can upgrade the suspension on top of the body lift at a later date if you decide to modify it anyways.

The body lift you can do in a day with basic tools and a high lift jack to raise the body to put the body lift pucks in.

Suspension will take longer to do yourself and more tools. It will also change your steering geometry if not done right.

Overall 1K is not a lot money to modify a Jeep. Unfortunately our money does not stretch as far as it used to. Good luck on your mods whatever route you decide.

Thank you very much for your advice. Greatly appreciated.:thumbsup:

kh202 08-25-2013 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK (Post 3658483)

Oh no doubt they add a great look. Agree. Was just my 2 cents. I haven't gotten around to fitting bumpers in the budget, so just cut my stock ones in the mean time :thumbsup: