Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Little Pissed @ Stealership repair issues....

Old 04-03-2009, 10:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Pissed @ Stealership repair issues....

Okay, need to vent a little here. Here's the list of issues I bring the Rubi in for;

-Cracked manifold
-exhaust rattle around Cats
-front end felt a little loose
-Transmission gear noise - loud gear whine in 1rst, 2ond, and liveable in 3rd.
-E-brake sticking - not releasing once applied.
-Power steering lock up when driving slow. - very intermitent. almost like it has no power steering, then releases and drive normal. Only does this couple times a month at most.

When I drop off the rubi, I demand the Service manager go for a ride with me, as he knows me and the rubi well, and they have been great, just at times slow with repairs etc.

Service manager hears the manifold leak, exhaust rattle, and loud gear noise on test drive. I leave it with them, they call me back a couple days later and confirm they need to replace manifold, heat shield and new Y pipe and will order.

Stealership has had the vehicle for the last two weeks, call me today confirming I will pick up tomorrow. Then they start to go over all the issues with me, adivsing the mechanic is looking into all the other issues. I said pardon? you mean you haven't addressed the other issues until today after having my JK for 2 weeks? I guess when they waited for the manifold to arrive, they put my Jk in the back and let it sit there. I told them, that's Fu$#ing great, now if there are more parts to order, I have to wait another week+.... Service girls says, sorry...... but also that my rear pads are worn to 30% and the rotors need replacing....and there was some debris in there that may be contributing to the sticky e-brake. I told them, get the service manager to call me back.....He does.

I get a little mad with him about the slow service and not looking into the other issues until today.....So, he has no excuse for it, and says I am right. He tries to say the mechanic compared my gear noise with another newer jeep and the mechanic says it's normal. I tell the service manager, BS, and he and I know the noise is not right. They will look into it more thoroughly now. They replaced the Toe link which supposedly corrected the front end looseness.

I told him that the steering issue (locking up) is so serious that I expect results here, cause I have been telling them about it for the last couple services. I told him, if I or my girlfriend get caught turning in front of someone else in an intersection, and the steering locks, and we get Tboned, I will sue there a$$ off. Service manager asked permission to take my JK home on a longer test drive to hopefully reproduce the problem, I told him sure. I decided to let them replace the rear brakes too, and said they better not try to hose me on this as I know that's where they make their money, and the service manager advised I am a very loyal customer, and he assures they will not screw me over.

Has anyone else had a similar steering issue or tranny gear noise like the one I have described?

Well that's my rant for now...will keep everyone updated on results.....another week or so with this Sebring curtosy car......
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

that sucks
i have had tons of problems with the stealership. they told me they were going to replace a EGR valve under warrenty and i get it back and they didnt even clear the DTC. the EGR valve wasnt even fixed. the least they could have done was to clear the code and lie to me

along with leaky soft top in 3 locations and a new transmission....you know the minor stuff
Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trust me. It can be A LOT worse. Seems like they are working with you from here. I understand your scheduling issue. Did they give you a loaner? If not, I would be unhappy. If they did your whole post seems questionable.

Every dealer around here would tell me that all your issues were normal. Even the locking up while driving. They would acknowledge it and say it is ok even with Chrysler customer service on the phone who would also agree it was a normal operating condition. Until you report it to the BBB and the State Attorney General. Then they change their story. Sometime, I think they want to see how far you will take it.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After all that and you decide to give them money? Sounds like you're lookin to get hosed to me.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

the only auto trans issues i have had involve a rare occurance:

if i slow down (approaching a red light and then it turns green) and then accelerate as the trans downshifts from 2nd to 1st.. it goes CLUNK loud and rough
Old 04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

The E brake sticking is the reason your pads are worn. I would call BS on that.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM
JK Freak

I have some tranny noise like you describe, and they told me pretty much the same. The service writers words were "Oh, yeah, those Jeep transmissions sure are noisy, nothin wrong, Blah Blah Blah.

Last edited by backwoodjk; 04-03-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by saltman
Trust me. It can be A LOT worse. Seems like they are working with you from here. I understand your scheduling issue. Did they give you a loaner? If not, I would be unhappy. If they did your whole post seems questionable.

Every dealer around here would tell me that all your issues were normal. Even the locking up while driving. They would acknowledge it and say it is ok even with Chrysler customer service on the phone who would also agree it was a normal operating condition. Until you report it to the BBB and the State Attorney General. Then they change their story. Sometime, I think they want to see how far you will take it.
I told them I don't want it back until the steering issue is repaired. Ya I have a loner car....crap sebring....it's okay though

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
After all that and you decide to give them money? Sounds like you're lookin to get hosed to me.
This stealership has done alot for me for free, fighting Chrysler Canada to get other warranty work done, and I do trust them, as I think they got scared of me a few times when I blew up at them. I knew the rear discs where pretty scratched up, plus I have almost 70K on my Jeep now, so I will get them to do it for me. They told me I had mud and other crap lodged in there, which would cause the e-brake malfunction.

Originally Posted by 07JKX
the only auto trans issues i have had involve a rare occurance:

if i slow down (approaching a red light and then it turns green) and then accelerate as the trans downshifts from 2nd to 1st.. it goes CLUNK loud and rough
Mines a 6 spd...
Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh , sounds like they're working with you, plus, learn how to do your own repairs, especially brakes. In no way would I be pissed after 70,000 miles. Learn how to fix it yourself, alot cheaper and you get to know your jeep, which can be invaluable on the trail. No matter what warranty you have. NOTHING about that warranty will help you if your stuck out in the boonies and don't Know crap about your jeep. Not to sound offensive in any means, but you should be able to make simple repairs.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 07rubisteve
This stealership has done alot for me for free, fighting Chrysler Canada to get other warranty work done, and I do trust them, as I think they got scared of me a few times when I blew up at them. I knew the rear discs where pretty scratched up, plus I have almost 70K on my Jeep now, so I will get them to do it for me. They told me I had mud and other crap lodged in there, which would cause the e-brake malfunction.

Mines a 6 spd...

BUt dude, if you can take a ratchet and a socket and unscrew a bolt, you can install your own rotors and pads and SAVE that money. We can help you. What the hell do you think we are? Chopped liver????

Quick Reply: Little Pissed @ Stealership repair issues....