JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   To Lock or Not to Lock That is the Question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/lock-not-lock-question-123086/)

Beerdette 03-17-2010 12:38 PM

To Lock or Not to Lock That is the Question

I just took the hard top off today and put the soft top on. I have a buddy that has only a soft top and never locks his door. I am now wondering if I need to break the habit of locking the door while the soft top is on.

Second part to this question has nothing to do with locks but with the top down. Has anyone had a bird drop droppings on to the interior of their Jeep, if so what is the best way to clean it? I haven't had this happen yet but I can see where it could/can happen depending on where you live/park your Jeep.

spartan99 03-17-2010 12:47 PM

Never lock your Jeep regardless of the top. Either way it's easy to break in to.

Mark Doiron 03-17-2010 01:14 PM

I generally don't lock with my softtop on. The exception is if it was necessary to leave something valuable in it, and I'm parked in a busy location, I will lock it if I can't keep an eye on it. I avoid situations where I have valuables in the Jeep, but don't feel that I can lock it (such as dark, out-of-the-way parking lots with little traffic).

BTW: I do lock my tailgate. I keep certain things in the storage cubby (winch controller, air hose, etc). This includes my vehicle insurance and registration information. I figure most thieves won't know to look there.

dremex 03-17-2010 01:26 PM

I never lock mine but I also never keep anything of value inside the Jeep.

As for the bird droppings problem... I try and make an effort to always park in the parking garage (or away from trees in an open parking lot). I've been lucky so far *knock on wood*.

geoffcwilson 03-17-2010 01:29 PM

I say always lock it. If someone really wants to get in, they will get in, no matter what. Why make it easy? The locks are just enough deterrent for the casual passer-by. Always lock console and glove box as well.

shon 03-17-2010 01:32 PM

I only locked the glove box once. Went into the store for 10 minutes and that was all it took for some jerk to break the handle trying to get in. There wasn't anything of any value in it but it ended up costing me a bunch to get a Tuffy box that I still don't lock.

Never going to lock it again. The thieves can just wander over and open it to see that it is empty without breaking anything.

Mariner 03-17-2010 02:09 PM

I only lock when i have the hard top on,

Waiting 03-17-2010 02:59 PM

I lock mine. I feel it is too tempting for some punks to say, "Oooo, look. It's a Jeep. And, they never lock their doors. Let's open it up and smash the dash, tear up the seats, dump in a couple of beer, or piss in it." Yes, I live in that kind of area, with many people walking the streets at all hours. Too many bored/drunk/stoned teens, losers with no job or car, junkies; punks of every kind.
Plus, the horn beep that goes off may make the local jokers think I have some kind of aftermarket alarm with motion sensors or a paging feature.

Mark Doiron 03-17-2010 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Waiting (Post 1615293)
... Yes, I live in that kind of area, with many people walking the streets at all hours. Too many bored/drunk/stoned teens, losers with no job or car, junkies; punks of every kind. ...

But, presumably, not the kind of area where these people carry knives? After all, a pocket knife is a universal, softtop vehicle key. :thinking:

Brice de Nice 03-17-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by spartan99 (Post 1615116)
Never lock your Jeep regardless of the top. Either way it's easy to break in to.

:thinking:

You can't do this in Paris, the Jeep will disappear within 30 minutes