Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Locking up a hard top when off

Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 AM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Default Locking up a hard top when off

Just say you head out of town on a road trip, you get to the beach house or cabin and you want to take the top off and ride around, but not really comfortable about leaving your top, is there a way to secure it to keep folks honest?
Old 02-06-2019, 11:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'm not certain there's a great way to do this unless the destination has a garage or some enclosure to store it in. I hate soft tops, but this is one of the rare times I think soft tops become useful. Might be worthwhile to just keep an eye out for a reasonably priced soft top for such an occasion.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dat
Just say you head out of town on a road trip, you get to the beach house or cabin and you want to take the top off and ride around, but not really comfortable about leaving your top, is there a way to secure it to keep folks honest?
You could maybe run a steel cable through the bolt holes on the hard top, and secure the cable to a tree with a padlock? It's not going to stop someone with some bolt cutters, but it might stop the neighborhood kids from running off with it?
Old 02-09-2019, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Tie a pitbull to it would be your best bet. Other than that, if someone wants it bad enough they're going to take it. Really though, it's going to have to be someone with a pick-up truck and at least 2 people to lift it. It seems like a very unlikely scenario especially at a beach house.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Really no way to secure it outside, other than a bad ass dog
Old 02-28-2019, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I'd throw a tarp over it. At least it would look big enough to possibly come across as "probably too much trouble to steal".
Old 03-05-2019, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you tie a pit to it I'll come play with the dog put him in my Jeep and run over your top when I leave.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I'm not a big, you live a jeep "lifestyle", or you don't, but to me this is just part of having a jeep.....have to throw a little caution to the wind. Soft top or topless, have to plan on some fool stealing what is left behind. Top off, have to plan on it being hot or it rains. I think the biggest thing is we see what it costs to replace something......others don't see the same value or they see a major pain to steal. There's a reason stone businesses don't have to lock up boulders at night....or pallets of flagstone. Absolute worst case scenario in a situation like this is there is a theft, and it rains on the way home. Not the worst thing thing in this crazy world we live in.
Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah, I guess I worry too much, insurance should cover most of it anyway if it did happen.
funny thing is, when at work or at home, or at places around home, I don't worry about it

Quick Reply: Locking up a hard top when off