Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Long arm install gulf coats

Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Control arms I've never done but a buddy did his rk ones while I installed my tf 2.5 didn't seem too difficult. It seems like it's just a matter of bolting stuff in like the 2.5... I don't see how the 4" is much different with the exception of welding in brackets and of course getting rid of the stock ones first. Which since I'm a welder it shouldn't be to difficult to put some beads on a frame.

Last edited by Pyro1415; 01-01-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Edit: no longer
Relevant
Old 01-02-2015, 12:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Pyro1415
Control arms I've never done but a buddy did his rk ones while I installed my tf 2.5 didn't seem too difficult. It seems like it's just a matter of bolting stuff in like the 2.5... I don't see how the 4" is much different with the exception of welding in brackets and of course getting rid of the stock ones first. Which since I'm a welder it shouldn't be to difficult to put some beads on a frame.
If you can weld, and have some basic garage tools/jacks, you can install the lift yourself.
Youtube some installs if you are nervous or uneasy about it.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 AM
JK Newbie

I'd have to buy a welder. I will always be nervous cutting a 25k vehicle lol.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:32 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It really does not matter if you have 4" of lift, 2.5" of lift, or no lift. You are going to be removing the axles and all of the suspension to install a long arms kit and putting the suspension back on when you are done. You don't save any labor by installing the new lift first other then some slight tweeking of track bars and drag links to straighten the steering wheel and centering the axles. Trust me you will want to get the jeep on a lift to work on a long arm. Cutting off the old brackets and welding on the new ones is a major pain in the ass and is even worse if you are lying on the ground.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It really does not matter if you have 4" of lift, 2.5" of lift, or no lift. You are going to be removing the axles and all of the suspension to install a long arms kit and putting the suspension back on when you are done. You don't save any labor by installing the new lift first other then some slight tweeking of track bars and drag links to straighten the steering wheel and centering the axles. Trust me you will want to get the jeep on a lift to work on a long arm. Cutting off the old brackets and welding on the new ones is a major pain in the ass and is even worse if you are lying on the ground.
Please listen to this!!! From personal experience...if you don't have a lift and are spending the cash on a long arm system, just come up off the little extra and have them do it. I'm not saying you aren't capable, it's just extremely difficult to get those brackets in place, weld correctly etc etc laying underneath it. We're not calling you an idiot, just giving you some advice from a previous experience...If you pay them, tell them you would like to be present during the install and you can gain a lot of knowledge of your components and get a little more confidence maintaining your system yourself. Long arms...just HUGE PITA without a lift.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

And I only said all that because I remember my long arm install a few years ago resulting in shitty cuts on the factory brackets, even shittier welds and days worth of extra work just from trying to do all of it from the ground...
Old 01-02-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Well my brother has a lift I can use at his work but that means it has to be completed or at least able to roll out in a weekend. Still if I'm having a shop do it I'd like to know of some in my area. I don't trust any random shop or a 4x4 truck shop to let mine be a first time.

I weld and do carpentry for a living but it's to government standards so that probably means I'm not that good. As long as I have a foot around everything for the stick it shouldn't be hard.

If no one can suggest a shop I'll just have to look while I'm home in May. Might just keep the tf 2.5 for several more years and save up to have a shop do it.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AndyWentJKU
And I only said all that because I remember my long arm install a few years ago resulting in shitty cuts on the factory brackets, even shittier welds and days worth of extra work just from trying to do all of it from the ground...
Is it all still together and functioning lol?
Old 01-02-2015, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd suggest either having the shop do it or looking at a different lift if it's going to be this much headache for you.

Quick Reply: Long arm install gulf coats