JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Lost my brakes in my JK!!! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/lost-my-brakes-my-jk-39576/)

Jeeperson 05-07-2008 10:54 AM

Lost my brakes in my JK!!!

So I went on a trip from SLC, UT down to St. George, UT this weekend in my JK and while returning from golfing my Jeep started running funny, I went to pull over and no brakes! I had to stand on the brake pedal and pull up the emergency brake to get the Jeep to stop. Luckily no one was in front of me and I wasn't on the freeway doing 75mph or anything like that so there was no accident and no one was hurt. I called Sun Country Jeep in St. George and they were able to get me in first thing Monday morning. They tore into it and found the problem. I was told it was the vacuum hose that runs from the manifold to the power brake booster. Someone at the dealership here in SLC (Ken Garff West Valley) who has done all the work on my JK apparently broke the metal nipple off the manifold where the vacuum hose connects and instead of replacing the manifold to fix it like they should have, they did some make-shift, half-ass fix it job by shoving a piece of plastic tubing in there to replace the broken nipple the vacuum hose connects to. So this fix it job obviously failed and resulted in the loss of the engine vacuum and and in turn, my brakes.

Needless to say when I found out I was furious! My life and other peoples lives, either that have been riding with me or others on the road around me, have been placed in serious danger because of this. My Jeep is still down in St. George beeing fixed. I had to get a rental to get back to SLC for a funeral and work. I went to Ken Garff today and explained to them what their shop had done and demanded the reimburse me for the rental and fuel for the drive going back down there and back to SLC to pick up my Jeep this weekend. They agreed but now I question all the work they have done on my Jeep. Also, maybe some of you would know if there is some legal action that could be taken considering the blatant negligence on their part involving a half-ass fix it job regarding something as important as the brakes? Im not a sue-happy person nor am I looking for free money but this has me pretty pissed off!!!

jeepgreensahara 05-07-2008 11:06 AM

I understand your frustration, as it could have been alot worse also. Atleast they agreed to reimburse for your expanses, etc. I don't think suing them would do much since nobody was injured or any damage was done. But you do live in the USA, the land where you can sue for anything!

Offroadme 05-07-2008 11:08 AM

that is insane. Im glad you are ok that could have been horrible.. I would call up jeep headquarters or write a letter and tell them what has happened. they are pretty strict about customer service. i know there is a number you can call don't know im sure someone on here would have it, but that could have cost you your life and or someone else's or both. I would NOT want someone like that working at a dealer ship. god forbid you were on the highway or something. i would raise a shit storm. Keep us posted.

Again glad your Ok.

paratus13 05-07-2008 11:10 AM

Man! Glad you are OK and nobody got hurt! It could have been a lot worse, as you know!

I am no lawyer and dont know much about legal stuff, but at least the shop is agreeing to reimburse you - right there they have admitted to their fault. Did you get any pictures before the dealer started repairing it? I would assume that any legal action would need pictures or something. Good luck!

SASQUATCH 05-07-2008 11:12 AM

That is nuts, whewww I'd been pretty hot too, especially with the family in the Jeep. Glad it's being covered and of course there is legal action you can take for negligence, the fact they "have" to fix it is a no-brainer but the follow-up on the supposedly certified tech is what's at question. I'd want to know what they intended to do about that person. Last but not least before I said anything I'd have asked who worked on it and then talked to that tech. Had to do that at Sears many years ago, he was shocked I called him out on his shit work in front of him and his manager.

mcds99 05-07-2008 11:31 AM

First talk to a lawyer and don't sign anything the dealer asks you to sign.

Second Call Chrysler LLC and tell them what happened.

RedneckJeep 05-07-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jeeperson (Post 484555)
nipple

You said nipple. heh heh heh huh huh huh

RedneckJeep 05-07-2008 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jeeperson (Post 484555)
So I went on a trip from SLC, UT down to St. George, UT this weekend in my JK and while returning from golfing my Jeep started running funny, I went to pull over and no brakes! I had to stand on the brake pedal and pull up the emergency brake to get the Jeep to stop. Luckily no one was in front of me and I wasn't on the freeway doing 75mph or anything like that so there was no accident and no one was hurt. I called Sun Country Jeep in St. George and they were able to get me in first thing Monday morning. They tore into it and found the problem. I was told it was the vacuum hose that runs from the manifold to the power brake booster. Someone at the dealership here in SLC (Ken Garff West Valley) who has done all the work on my JK apparently broke the metal nipple off the manifold where the vacuum hose connects and instead of replacing the manifold to fix it like they should have, they did some make-shift, half-ass fix it job by shoving a piece of plastic tubing in there to replace the broken nipple the vacuum hose connects to. So this fix it job obviously failed and resulted in the loss of the engine vacuum and and in turn, my brakes.

Needless to say when I found out I was furious! My life and other peoples lives, either that have been riding with me or others on the road around me, have been placed in serious danger because of this. My Jeep is still down in St. George beeing fixed. I had to get a rental to get back to SLC for a funeral and work. I went to Ken Garff today and explained to them what their shop had done and demanded the reimburse me for the rental and fuel for the drive going back down there and back to SLC to pick up my Jeep this weekend. They agreed but now I question all the work they have done on my Jeep. Also, maybe some of you would know if there is some legal action that could be taken considering the blatant negligence on their part involving a half-ass fix it job regarding something as important as the brakes? Im not a sue-happy person nor am I looking for free money but this has me pretty pissed off!!!

In all seriousness....lawsuits are all about damage. You didn't incur any damage as a result of their neglegent repair. Gonna be kinda hard to collect on a lawsuit there. Bottom line is you cannot sue someone for something that MIGHT have happened. You didn't LOSE your brakes. You lost vacuum assist. Yeah, I know, it probably scared the begeezus outta you...and rightfully so, but your Jeep will still stop without vacuum assist....however very hard. Lastly, consider the human factor. I had a bad experience with my first service department visit as well, but the dealer bent over backwards to make it right in the end. Threatening them with a lawsuit is the quickest way to make them your enemy. Besides that, with no damage, you have no grounds. If they recognize that the problem is something THEY caused (which they seem to according to you), then they are acknowedging the problem. If they are going to fix the problem, then I would relax ( I know it's tough) and let them. I am eternally glad you or anyone else was hurt. THAT is what you should be thankful for.

Jeeperson 05-07-2008 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep (Post 484706)
In all seriousness....lawsuits are all about damage. You didn't incur any damage as a result of their neglegent repair. Gonna be kinda hard to collect on a lawsuit there. Bottom line is you cannot sue someone for something that MIGHT have happened. You didn't LOSE your brakes. You lost vacuum assist. Yeah, I know, it probably scared the begeezus outta you...and rightfully so, but your Jeep will still stop without vacuum assist....however very hard. Lastly, consider the human factor. I had a bad experience with my first service department visit as well, but the dealer bent over backwards to make it right in the end. Threatening them with a lawsuit is the quickest way to make them your enemy. Besides that, with no damage, you have no grounds. If they recognize that the problem is something THEY caused (which they seem to according to you), then they are acknowedging the problem. If they are going to fix the problem, then I would relax ( I know it's tough) and let them. I am eternally glad you or anyone else was hurt. THAT is what you should be thankful for.

Im really not looking to file a law suit. I'm not looking for money, however, if there are crimnal charges that could be filed in light of their negligence, I might consider it. I have had problems with these guys in the past and had talks with the service manager who did his best to resolve them. I told him I would give them a second chance (MISTAKE) to work on my JK. Mine is an earlier build and it had the infamous clutch "squeal and squeak" noises. I tried to get it resolved 3 different times with them and they refused. I even e-mailed them the TSB's and still nothing. I took it to this dealer in St. George and they had no problem acknowledging the issue and fixing it. I was shocked it was that simple. Anyway, this shop has done a significant amount of work on my Jeep (replaced the frame) and I am now very concerned of the quality of that work. This is why I am considering some kind of legal action.

somewhereinla 05-07-2008 03:49 PM

I am not a lawyer. you could file a formal complaint with the district attorney office and/or the Better Business Bureau. You should also write a formal letter to Chrysler and demand they investigate.