Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manual trans to auto?

Old 05-06-2016, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the difference between auto and manual when off-road?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would absolutely LOVE to stick a small diesel in my JK. The thought of it gets me tight in the pants.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsadi94
What's the difference between auto and manual when off-road?
The old argument for manual was gear ratios and sticking to gears. The 5 speed auto in the 3.6L Wranglers voids both of those arguments. In 4lo they hold manual gears much better and keep the Jeep revving in the power band.

You can't shift in dirty water for fear of destroying the clutch, you have to use clutch and brake simultaneously quite often while still trying to gas it and you can't downshift going up a hill. The throwout bearing in the manual trans is also made of glass and marbles and fails often. New Autos win the argument for off-road.

If I had the option between a 3 speed auto and a 5 speed manual, the manual is a no-brainer. 6 speed manual and 5 speed auto, the auto is actually the better choice.

Manuals are fun to drive though. I still like rowing through the gears even in traffic. Mine is manual and I haven't really regretted it yet.
Old 05-06-2016, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
The old argument for manual was gear ratios and sticking to gears. The 5 speed auto in the 3.6L Wranglers voids both of those arguments. In 4lo they hold manual gears much better and keep the Jeep revving in the power band. You can't shift in dirty water for fear of destroying the clutch, you have to use clutch and brake simultaneously quite often while still trying to gas it and you can't downshift going up a hill. The throwout bearing in the manual trans is also made of glass and marbles and fails often. New Autos win the argument for off-road. If I had the option between a 3 speed auto and a 5 speed manual, the manual is a no-brainer. 6 speed manual and 5 speed auto, the auto is actually the better choice. Manuals are fun to drive though. I still like rowing through the gears even in traffic. Mine is manual and I haven't really regretted it yet.
I have to fully agree with what Smudgeontheglass is saying. I too drive a 6spd manual, its the only trans I wanted this go around but I don't do hardcore off roading or rock crawl. If I did it would be hands down an auto, much easier to manage two pedals at once than three as mentioned. When the new Wrangler comes out with the nine speed auto should I decide to trade up that auto would be the only option for me to even consider as it should keep the Jeep in its sweet spot all the time while off road. Look at how you plan to use your Jk and buy based on that, you will be fine with a manual if your main goal is more overland style off roading.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, get an auto for crawling, and a manual for mudding. And I say manual for mudding because you can rock it from first to reverse quickly if you get stuck.

Quick Reply: Manual trans to auto?