Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Muffler Delete

Old 06-21-2018, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Muffler Delete

2010 JK - Sounds amazing so glad I did it. End of story
Old 06-21-2018, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Don't you miss the torque coming off of stop lights? I did it for a couple days while waiting to source a used muffler. Never again, but to each their own.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Don't you miss the torque coming off of stop lights? I did it for a couple days while waiting to source a used muffler. Never again, but to each their own.
I go for mpg more than anything else. But when I do gas it I have no issue getting to speed. I'll check it next time I'm out and about. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:41 PM
JK Newbie

Well there goes the going for mpg - I should have read up some more instead of youtubing muffler delete jeep jk and getting it done within an hour after that oh I got it smogged in the morning so all good there.

as far as power is concerned I can notice a drop in that as well. I suppose it's saving up for a good muffler time.

Sounds super bad ass - but alas the mpg must be 4 or so less than normal...before I got an easy 16-17 on road and 18-20 on the freeway - now it's like 13-14 and maybe 16 or so on the freeway - I'll report back some more as time goes on - than more people can laugh at my stupidity.

at least now when somebody drives like crap I can get next to them and mess their hearing up - I know how cool right.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010jeepjk2
2010 JK - Sounds amazing so glad I did it. End of story
Not sure where Woodland Hills is. I'd double check with the US Forest service before doing any OHV roads. Here in Colorado you'd get fined for that and likely required towing back to a main paved road. Especially right now with the Stage I and II fire bans.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Seizer
Not sure where Woodland Hills is. I'd double check with the US Forest service before doing any OHV roads. Here in Colorado you'd get fined for that and likely required towing back to a main paved road. Especially right now with the Stage I and II fire bans.
Part of Los Angeles - 91364 to be exact. I'm pretty sure by the time I end up doing that, as I'm still new to the jeep way of life, that I'll have another muffler put on

for the time being it's a street machine.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Woke up at 530am to beat traffic today - Went out for a cruise on the freeway/streets to test out the Jeeper.

MPG wise no difference - 20+ mpg cruising at 40 and 65-70ish.

Torque a bit lower from a stop while babying the throttle, but as said I'm not going for Mr SpeedRacer while driving the Jeeper.

0-60 going on freeway(cause it's the only place I'd test that out due to the fact people live everywhere around me lol) was 11.4 - keep in mind the onramp goes a bit uphill to reach elevated 101 freeway - so compared to before I don't think there was much difference, plus it sounded like the meanest RaceJeeper money can buy - minus the speed lol

Oh yeah quarter mile on freeway was 17.8 @ 80 - and that was uphill for a second as I said.

Overall I get the feeling like when I start driving it correctly I won't be noticing too much of a change...it's only when traffic sucks ass and the lower torque comes into play that I can see those MPGs dropping.

I hope I'm not killing the engine....today will be the last time I floor it around town - poor 101k miles Jeeper

Can I name him Mr. Jeeper or does everyone do that already? it's not a girl it's a Man Jeep -
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Maybe this sounds better with the 3.8L?? LOL, I think it sounds horrendous with the 3.6L, but we have all personal preferences I guess. I describe it more as "embarrassing" rather than "super bad ass", but you know....sometimes someone says they hear a "clunk" while others describe the same noise as a "pop".

Originally Posted by 2010jeepjk2
I suppose it's saving up for a good muffler time.
You don't need to spend much on a muffler....I mean, unless you want to sound like a modded Honda Civic, cuz that is what you get with most of the packaged things out there. I have a $35 Thrush Welded from AAP, and it's suited me for a few years now. Doesn't sound obnoxious and provides added clearance. For very little money, mom & pop muffler shops can mount things much higher in the factory location, or between the axles if you're in to that.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no muffler for a day or so while I was waiting for a part to come in for my new exhaust kit. And I was mortified driving it.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Cutman
I had no muffler for a day or so while I was waiting for a part to come in for my new exhaust kit. And I was mortified driving it.
At first it's tough...but then after a couple days you get used to how to drive it so you aren't always giving it too little or too much gas. It's great actually, now these idiots on the road can hear me before cutting me off, and don't tailgate me due to the sound so win win. Plus it makes tunnels fun again.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete