Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

My Jeep Saved My Marine Aquarium

Old 06-16-2019, 03:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts
Default My Jeep Saved My Marine Aquarium

We don't ever lose power where I live. Well, not for more than a couple minutes, anyway. All lines are underground, and the substation is only a half mile away. So, even when power was lost during major ice storms a few years back and lines were down everywhere, we didn't see so much as a flash. Last night, however, lightning storm did some damage. As lightning would flash and thunder would clap, the power would flash on and off in my house. After a few minutes of that, it finally went out completely. I received a text alert from the power company that power would be out for four house. I have a marine (saltwater) aquarium I was concerned about. Reef critters are pretty intolerant of changes in water temperature and chemistry, and require the right water flow and lighting to keep them going. And, because they are so finicky, they die easily which makes them, expensive to buy (or replace, should they die). So, I used the power inverter I installed in my Jeep (2007s did not come with one), which is connected to the second Odyssey battery I also installed, to power my aquarium. Ran an extension cord out to Jeep (imagine me running around outside in the dark at midnight in a lightning storm, LOL), then back into house to aquarium power strip. It worked great. After two hours, when power finally came back on, I still had a 12.4 volt reading for that battery.

The power inverter mounted on the passenger seat rail.

Old pic. There are now two Odyssey batteries in this.

Aquarium simulating moonlit night.
Old 04-28-2020, 01:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by adamroberson
Dude, the tank is huge, I would like to own the same one.
By marine tank standards, not so big. 55 gallons. Here are more current images ...

Old 04-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Dat
JK Freak

Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Looking at that tank, the first thing that comes to mind is dentist office and a little girl with braces banging on the side of the tank
(Finding Nemo)
Old 04-29-2020, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Very Nice!
Old 04-30-2020, 03:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by RonandJanet
Very Nice!
I don't have braces, but that's me banging on the side of the tank trying to keep the six line wrasse from attacking the fire red gobi at feeding time yesterday. The gobi has taken to hiding in the rocks and caves, but even that has not kept the wrasse from really tearing up his fins. :-(

Quick Reply: My Jeep Saved My Marine Aquarium