Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Narrow tires v. Wide Tires

Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very good and informative piece. Will be influential in my future tire decisions.

Also, pretty sad the number of folks that simply laughed at the length... Passing on some great reasoning. :/

Last edited by arjeeper; 03-28-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

The important part:

"When driving off-highway, the performance of a vehicles tires is influenced by the elements of friction as related to the following items: Adhesion, momentary molecular bonding, deformation and mechanical keying (Haney, 2003). Where a race car operates on a highly tactile surface, which allows wide, even smooth tires to perform exceptionally (due to adhesion and bonding), an off-highway vehicle operates in the exact opposite environment, with minimally tactile surfaces. Rocks, dirt ledges, dusty boulders, highly irregular surfaces, sandy washes, etc. occupy the fourwheeler's environment. Surfaces that do not provide high adhesion rates or momentary bonding. However, these surfaces are highly irregular, which does provide the opportunity to take advantage of mechanical keying and deformation. These traction elements require high contact pressure, coupled with low air pressure to get the tire to flex with the terrain. A wide tire distributes the vehicles weight over too large of a surface, preventing deformation from occurring at the same rate as a narrow tire with the same pressure (force). A narrow tire will hold better than a wide one by keying to the surface aggregate due to the greater vertical force."
I agree with those who criticized the length not of the article, but of the post. All that was needed to get the arguments/discussions going is the above quote. By including the entire article, instead of just a link for those interested in reading it in its entirety, you discourage the discussion.

Oh, and I'll start it off: Wide, fat tires look cooler than tall, narrow tires. In the U.S.A. that is EOD (End of Discussion). LOL.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha completely agree that wide, meaty looks cool!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta love the skinnys. That article was very good. A little long to read but very good info. Wide tires look better though. I won't go back to them however.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

any tires with an aspect ratio over 80 will work great off road with a good potential for air down.

37/12.50R17 has an aspect ratio of around 80.

unimogs and military trucks uses tires with aspect ratio of 80 like R16 and R20 tires.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrightSilverRubicon
x2. Does this come in Cliff's Notes?
Narrow tire good

Wide tire not so good but good for other things but looks good.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Freak

I started to read it, then I finally started thinking how long is this thing. I then started scrolling down as curiosity got the best of me. I then realized if I read it I wouldn't finish reading it until tomorrow so I gave up. :eek:

Sent from my hand-held Go Go Gadget Contraption
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrightSilverRubicon

x2. Does this come in Cliff's Notes?
Can I get this in audio book?
Old 03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a long read, but makes very good points. Thing is, there are few choices for skinny 35" tires though there are more for skinny 33" tires.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

Good read, seriously guys not all that hard to get through. Maybe it was easy for me because I will be buying tires soon. I like the idea of skinny tires, especially in snow. This is why I'm leaning towards pro comps, it looks to me like they run a little skinny.

Quick Reply: Narrow tires v. Wide Tires