JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Need help choosing soft top (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/need-help-choosing-soft-top-349911/)

Jen S 04-08-2019 01:51 PM

Need help choosing soft top

I need a new soft top. I think my current one is the original. I want the same material, is black diamond the original factory material?

karls10jk 04-08-2019 03:33 PM

Black diamond is the factory material but the premium material is quite the investment if you can swing the extra bucks. Having had both materials many times on TJ's and JK's, I won't have another standard top. They seem to dry up and be tough to maneuver. The premium material cleans up nicer and works better.

MrChuckles 04-08-2019 05:51 PM

Yes, black diamond is the factory material, but like Karl said, the premium twill is so much better.

RoccoV 04-08-2019 07:50 PM

I just got the premium not to long ago and won't go back. Try to find one on Craig'slist or on the forum used. Got mine for around $1000

resharp001 04-09-2019 09:21 AM

The black diamond material compared to the premium twill is like a choice top sirloin compared to a wagyu ribeye. There is no comparison.

BoredKender 04-19-2019 09:24 AM

Shameless plug to say buy my spares (black diamond) and use them to fab up any style top you want!

jonesy 04-28-2019 09:40 AM

My wife has a factory black diamond top on her JK. I have a twill top on mine. It's night & day, and both of us recommend the twill if you can swing it, or if you can hold off & save up 'til you can. To answer your question though, yes, black diamond is the factory material. Good luck!

Rednroll 04-28-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by resharp001 (Post 4339670)
The black diamond material compared to the premium twill is like a choice top sirloin compared to a wagyu ribeye. There is no comparison.

I don't get to use my soft top as often as I would like so my factory diamond top is still fine. I have to make sure I don't ever try the ribeye, otherwise it will make me realize the tough piece of sirloin or probably closer to chuck steak I've been chewing on. :D

I know there have been changes in soft tops along the years, window size and such but are all factory JK soft tops interchangeable between model years? I may keep my eye out on CL for a decent deal on a ribeye

karls10jk 04-28-2019 02:41 PM

I think the window change was in 11, but if you find a premium top (13+ is when they were offered) then you're set. I'm running a 2015 soft top now and I have a 2018 in the closet for when I think this one has had enough wear.

Rednroll 04-28-2019 03:21 PM

Thanks Karl! I'm starting to think it would be a good idea to have a back up as well before these things start becoming hard to find. Just checked CL in my area, no premiums listed but I did see a Q-Tec diamond listed for $200, which seems like a great deal but I'm thicking I should hold out for a premium.