Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need help stranded in moab!

Old 07-10-2017, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help stranded in moab!

We are on vacation from Kansas City headed to Moab. Lug nuts loosened up sheared off all 5 rear axle wheel studs on our 2014 jkur. Nobody in town stocks them. Anyone have some or can anyone help?? Waiting on tow truck which will be taken us to Cortez, not sure where we can work on it. May be able to fix myself if I had parts. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thank you!
Shawn Patrick
816-516-5668
Old 07-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just sent you a txt with some leads.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may not need the exact part. A longer stud with the same thread and knurl should get the job done.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it didn't turn into a serious event and you are all ok!

I've got no help up there except a bump
Old 07-10-2017, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wow - good luck! Extra cool if Jk-Forum leads result in success!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think someone in Moab would have a set of trail spare axle shafts, maybe you can buy one off someone.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your help everyone! Parts are coming in the morning. Axle looks straight. Now hopefully I can get the wheel studs out without pulling the axle (it's a Ten axle) and we will be in Moab by noon!!
Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The parking brake backing piece is right there so you probably will have to pull that shaft to slide your new studs in. 4 18 mm bolts and she'll slide out.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Those studs come on replacement unit bearings. Just find an old unit bearing and salvage them off of that, and check to ensure they'll work on rear axle.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm back home in Kansas City now.

Thanks for the note on the hub bearing. I'll look into that option.

The Ten Factory Axle uses stock 1/2-20 press-in studs. Dorman part number 610-464. Most any auto parts store can have them within a day, if they don't stock them. I was able to install them without pulling the axle. I had all my tools and my IR 20v impact so it was quick to install the new ones. I did have to buy a couple big washers and extra open end lug nuts for the install. I used my 15mm wrench as a spacer (stud thru axle / wrench / 2 washers / lug nut. . . done.) Some wd40 on the washers kept the friction down to a minimum. (The worst part is, I already had all the spare parts, including axles at home and this was the only trip, ever, where I didn't bring them, along with my parts box that had everything to reinstall the flare.)

A few people have asked about the ride. Since it was a rear tire and we were on a straight away running around 50-55, it wasn't anything. It was shaking and then dropped when the tire came off. A loud bang and the flare and liner went flying off the side and then the tire passed me and rolled about 50 yard down into a field. I was already off the gas due to the shaking and just eased it to the shoulder and stopped. Some of the noise was from the tire. The pinch seam sliced it open when it fell.

I was towed to Cortez, CO around 3:30 and we were in Moab by noon the next day, so not too bad. Total damage was a tire, flare, studs and rotor. Sheet metal was fine. I will admit I was surprised by a few things. Not one single person in Cortez, at any auto parts store, knew ANYONE that had a JK, including a guy that had a TJ at the repair shop across from Carquest. While a couple people stopped on the highway nobody offered any help once we got to Cortez. (I will give a big shout out to the guys at the Carquest in Cortez as they were great and one even hammered out my broken studs due to me having a bad shoulder.)

Finally, I will admit this was 100% my fault. I run 35's in the summer and stock in the winter and I just installed the 35s the day before our trip and forgot to re-torque after xx miles. We're lucky it happened when it did as we had been running 75+ for 1000 miles from Kansas City, up around 12k feet on various trails around Silverton, including the Alpine Loop. So, it could have been much worse.

Edit: I had a tire waiting for me in Moab, and a Crown flare waiting for me when we got home so the JK is already fixed, washed and ready for it's next trip! (Funny enough, I got bored wheeling the JK after 20+ trips to Moab and Colorado, so I bought a RZR 1000 a couple years ago. We decided to leave it at home for this trip. Had I brought it I never would have switched tires and this wouldn't of happened. On a side note, either our front pads or our Metalcloak LCA's squeak bad enough that I almost pushed the Jeep off a cliff. After 15 minutes on our first trail in Silverton I regretted leaving the RZR at home. The trip went downhill from there.

Edit 2: I just realized my wife, who posted the original, wrote "stranded in Moab. . ." Not sure why she wrote that. She was correct in the other thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170710_134748127 (Medium).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	673313Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170710_135015198_HDR (Medium).jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	673314

Last edited by Hip2u77; 07-16-2017 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help stranded in moab!