Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need help woth German Law

Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help woth German Law

Hey, I am a soldier stationed in Germany. I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited. It is lifted 2.5" and has Better offset( do not know how much, but tires stick out probably 2-3 inches). German law will not let me register the Jeep if any part of the tire sticks out past the fender. With all my moving I do not have alot of money and need ideas on products or fixes. I have the original tires I can put on, but like my 33's. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Swap back to stock to get it registered then put your 33's back on when your done.

Also what backspacing do you have on your wheels? Do you have Spacers?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Thats what alot of people are doing, guess I will too. I do not have spacers but real big (or small) offset on tires so they stick out
Old 08-12-2010, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Put some wider mud flaps that cover the width of the tires out back. Or get some fender trim (ARB sells it) that is a inch or so wide rubber strip that you attach to your fender to give you extra width. Home Depot rubber garden trim will also work.
That law is to proect other people and cars from rocks being thrown up by your tires. Makes sense when your doing 200km/h on the autobahn (or around town for that matter).
Just enjoy Germany and buy a M3 CSL while your there and hit the 'green hell' on your days off. Bring it home and make some $$ with it. Lots of guys in the US will pay top dollar for Euro only cars that you can bring back with you.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Freak

The mud flaps sold by mopar work great. They attach to the stock fenders and add about 2" more coverage and are pretty flexible. I had issues with how far my tires stuck out in the winter. I was getting frozen slush and road grime all over the side of my Jeep. I only bought and installed the front pair because that was where my problem was. Here's some pics.

... Sorry I don't have any close up pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030685..jpg
Views:	90
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	81510   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040194..jpg
Views:	75
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	81511   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished3..jpg
Views:	83
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	81512   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished4..jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	81513  
Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread... But I was wondering about lift laws... I'm going to ramstein in February and I have a 4in lift with some 20s
Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Just wanted to take a second to thank both of you for your willingness to make a commitment to serve the nation and to accept the sacrifices and hardships that often go with it. We wouldn't have the freedoms we take for granted if not for those past and present who are willing to give of themselves in our service. Thanks so much.

Quick Reply: Need help woth German Law