Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New jeep owner

Old 12-27-2018, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New jeep owner

I want to make the swap from hard top to soft top on my 2013 wrangler 2 door in the spring, what exactly do i need, avg price?
Old 12-27-2018, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Welcome .. You have 2 choices.. do you want a factory style top with the folding framework? or a frameless top that utilizes the sport bars ? You can find both offered by multiple on line Jeep parts suppliers; i.e check the vendor directory tab of JK Forum. Once you decide you might find them on The forum, Ebay, - and there are other Wrangler Forums you can check too.

Originally Posted by Ryan1023
I want to make the swap from hard top to soft top on my 2013 wrangler 2 door in the spring, what exactly do i need, avg price?
Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Welcome .. You have 2 choices.. do you want a factory style top with the folding framework? or a frameless top that utilizes the sport bars ? You can find both offered by multiple on line Jeep parts suppliers; i.e check the vendor directory tab of JK Forum. Once you decide you might find them on The forum, Ebay, - and there are other Wrangler Forums you can check too.
i like the idea of being able to just fold it down with the folding framework, but is the one without the folding framework easy enough to take down and up on trips? Could you offer a pros and cons of each? Or even a preference?
Old 12-27-2018, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Where do you live? Warmer climate? Colder climate? You keeping the hard top? Fortunately there are lots of options. You can get a great top for $1k and less. Bestop is the brand I go with. They’re a safe bet. I’d call them and they’ll help you get exactly what you need. I’ve learned to get the better version of whatever I want, too. Better fabric, etc.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by spartan99
Where do you live? Warmer climate? Colder climate? You keeping the hard top? Fortunately there are lots of options. You can get a great top for $1k and less. Bestop is the brand I go with. They’re a safe bet. I’d call them and they’ll help you get exactly what you need. I’ve learned to get the better version of whatever I want, too. Better fabric, etc.
i live in new york so i get all the seasons. But i am keeping the hard top the soft top will go on spring to fallish. But what your saying is it would be better to go with the one with the folding frame?
Old 12-27-2018, 05:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I haven't checked Craigslist in quite a while, but there used to be ton of un-used factory soft tops for sale there. Ya know, all the people who bought JK's with the dual-top option who had no intention of ever putting the soft top on, so just sold it. Worth a few minutes looking and comparing prices, anyway.

Frame vs frameless is all about your opinion on the looks. I really like slant-back frameless tops on lifted/big tire JK's, and don't like the look of them on small tire stock jeeps. Browse a bunch of pics and see if you have a preference, it might help to sway your purchase one way or the other.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 356 Likes on 332 Posts

Personally, have a Bestop Trektop NX on and the hard top in storage. It has a fold back section over the front sets plus the sides and slant back can be removed for the "bikini top". The factory soft top does the same fold back & side windows - back window can be removed. It is about personal preference.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,593 Posts

I'm not a fan of soft tops in general, but I have one I use as a trail top for longer wheelin' trips. The one thing that sucks about all framed soft tops IMO, is when it's down it's sitting on your tailgate like a big ole turd. That is a crappy look, but also interferes with trying to get anything in/out through the tailgate. I'd think that you'd haver some factory soft tops listed locally on Craigslist, but it would be harder to find a frameless one that route. It is worth paying up for premium material IMO. I've not owned the Bestop glide, and I have seen mixed reviews, but I hate soft top zippers so much, especially trying to zip crap up when it's anything but sunny and hot outside. I'd think the glide idea is pretty good, but would research it a good bit before dropping the coin.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan1023
i live in new york so i get all the seasons. But i am keeping the hard top the soft top will go on spring to fallish. But what your saying is it would be better to go with the one with the folding frame?
I prefer the kinds without the frame. The frames tend to be too fragile for my liking. Frameless is cheaper too. If you’re keeping the hard top I’d go with a high quality frameless. I’d only get a frame type if you lived in NY and this would be your only top. I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area, so all I have and all I need is a frameless soft top.

Quick Reply: New jeep owner