Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New member, New Jeep (pre-Owned), New questions.... Help please...

Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, New Jeep (pre-Owned), New questions.... Help please...

Hi. I m new to this forum and new to jeeps in general. Last week I came across a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport that I couldnt turn down... Signed papers and drove home. I came from the car scene... Never owned a stock height car in my life... all my cars were lowered and somehow modified... Ive always wanted a big jeep since i was younger and once i told myslef i can now afford it, I went for it... Anyways, I love this jeep.. but i had a recent conversation that made me kinda paranoid at whati should prepare myself for as far as maintenance of this jeep goes....

Let me run down on the reasons why i couldnt turn the jeep down... The jeep is a 2010 jk with 29,000 miles... It had a good amount of modifications done to it, which ofcourse the dealer didnt care about so i got a pretty nice setup jeep for the price of an stock 2010 jk... I figured its money on after market parts that doesnt have to come out of my pocket... So heres whats on the jeep as i got from the dealership...

Motor is all stock as far as i can tell. Its on a terraflex 6inch lift. Quick disco swaybars. 17" rugged ridge wheels on 37"tires. i beleive its already been geared to keep up with the 37's. ARB air lockers. HIDs. and a dvd/navi unit with amp and sub.... Im still learning every component in this jeep and somehwat find something new everytime i lay underneath the jeep.

I had a chat with a local jeep shop owner and i was shocked as he said the way the jeep was set-up, it wouldnt last me another 30k miles... he said its almost a guarantee that the motor will blow up before it hits 60k miles because of the weight im pulling with 37" tires...

This jeep was purchased as my main vehicle.. me and my fiance also have a commuter car that she takes to work but for the meantime, this jeep will take me to and from work till i can fork out some cash to purchase a less valuable commuter car (probably another honda)...

How true is this statement made by the jeep shop owner? I dont abuse it and it will not see as much off road use. maybe 2-3 times a year when we go camping or up to tahoe... mostly commute for the next 6-12 months till im able to purchase a commuter car...
I really want this jeep to last as it is really one of my dream cars that i now own.... Any tips on maintenance? will adding an intake and exhaust help the engine breath a bit better? Any adive will be greatly appreciated.....

(I will post in the new forum section right after this, but i had to post this becasue im now paranoid that my motor will croak at 60k miles )
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jk.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	464811  
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

First off welcome to the forum and nice rig! And welcome to the Jeep community! I wouldn't worry I think that shop owner just wanted u to pay him to "prevent" this from happening.... I had 37s on my 2010 JKU Sahara with stock 3.73's and it was just fine.... I was just under 60k before I rolled it.... Find another shop. Plent of guys on here run 37s as their Dd (daily driver) that's a nice rig u found there, now go out and enjoy it! Don't be paranoid, be playful.... It's a jeep! They like having fun!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jersey_Devil
First off welcome to the forum and nice rig! And welcome to the Jeep community! I wouldn't worry I think that shop owner just wanted u to pay him to "prevent" this from happening.... I had 37s on my 2010 JKU Sahara with stock 3.73's and it was just fine.... I was just under 60k before I rolled it.... Find another shop. Plent of guys on here run 37s as their Dd (daily driver) that's a nice rig u found there, now go out and enjoy it! Don't be paranoid, be playful.... It's a jeep! They like having fun!
Thanks! Every postive thing i hear takes a bit of weight off my shoulders (although id like to hear what negatives i can improve on)... Yea, thought about the sales person trying to make some kind of sale.... they specialize in the $17,000 vvt hemi swap..
Old 06-04-2013, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

It'll be fine. Welcome to the forum
Old 06-04-2013, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rebelyell22
It'll be fine. Welcome to the forum
Thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by marlon671
Thanks! Every postive thing i hear takes a bit of weight off my shoulders (although id like to hear what negatives i can improve on)... Yea, thought about the sales person trying to make some kind of sale.... they specialize in the $17,000 vvt hemi swap..
Welcome and congrats on a great deal! that's one good looking Jeep you got your hands on. As has been said, you'll be just fine running the 37's with the 3.8L motor.Since you think it's been geared for the tires, that's even more of a reason to think you'll be just fine with it. I would however look at the front axle. The 37" tires are heavy and can do some damage to the axle housing. The front axle in your non-Rubi is a Dana 30 and if it's not done already you may want to get it sleeved and gusseted to hold up to the heavier tires.

Other than that, get out and enjoy it! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Zach
Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by XTZach
Welcome and congrats on a great deal! that's one good looking Jeep you got your hands on. As has been said, you'll be just fine running the 37's with the 3.8L motor.Since you think it's been geared for the tires, that's even more of a reason to think you'll be just fine with it. I would however look at the front axle. The 37" tires are heavy and can do some damage to the axle housing. The front axle in your non-Rubi is a Dana 30 and if it's not done already you may want to get it sleeved and gusseted to hold up to the heavier tires.

Other than that, get out and enjoy it! Let me know if you have any questions.

-Zach
Since reading ur reply, Ive been trying to search on how i can find out if the front axle is sleeved and gusseted as i wuold want to check and make sure... I have read that its almost a must but now i need to know what is it exaclty that i have to look for... Since this is my first lifted vehicle, all is new with me... Thank you though for that suggestion as it makes sense to me to reenforce axles for these monster tires....
Old 06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!

I'm not a fan of nebulous and unsubstantiated claims/threats. "It won't last longer than 60k miles" is both nebulous and unsubstantiated

Ask questions around here and you'll get lots of good answers. Post up some pics of your build, with questions, and this forum will help you out! It sounds like there's a lift, new gearing, aftermarket wheels, and 37" tires so far. You're not off to a bad start. The next question would be if your diffs are stock, if they are aftermarket or swapped from a Rubi, and/or have been reinforced? What about driveshafts? Were those replaced? Was anything done to the steering? How was the lift done...is it a full suspension lift, or is it a combination of a suspension lift and spacers?

I do hope you have an unlimited budget for fuel if this is your daily driver, though. Jeeps are NOT economical vehicles when built up. I wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing 14mpg all day long. I suppose that's a nebulous statement, but many on here will attest to getting mileage in the low teens with gearing and large tires.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you!

I had semi built turbo integra with a crv motor that was my daily driver... i spend about another $30 per week on gas fir this jeep and i feel every penny is worth it... im hoping i stop spending on the jeep so i can save to buy another commuter vehicle..

I know its a full suspension lift as many who looked at my jeep wondered why the precious owner would trade in a jeep that is built correctly... it was a repo i believe.... the dealer i purchased it from bought it from an auction.... as far as my honda, vw background tells me, every suspension component under the jeep seems to be after market and was replaced to accomidate the 6" lift. steering was also beefed up... (man i wish i knew exactly what parts i am looking at, but im slowly learning everything). I attached 2 pics to this... im guessing those are what was mentioned as re-enforcing the front axle by getting "sleefed and gusseted"? If not, please tell me otherwise... I would gladly pick up the build from where the previous owner left off as i would love to make this jeep rock solid....

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Congrats on the purchase!

I'm not a fan of nebulous and unsubstantiated claims/threats. "It won't last longer than 60k miles" is both nebulous and unsubstantiated

Ask questions around here and you'll get lots of good answers. Post up some pics of your build, with questions, and this forum will help you out! It sounds like there's a lift, new gearing, aftermarket wheels, and 37" tires so far. You're not off to a bad start. The next question would be if your diffs are stock, if they are aftermarket or swapped from a Rubi, and/or have been reinforced? What about driveshafts? Were those replaced? Was anything done to the steering? How was the lift done...is it a full suspension lift, or is it a combination of a suspension lift and spacers?

I do hope you have an unlimited budget for fuel if this is your daily driver, though. Jeeps are NOT economical vehicles when built up. I wouldn't be surprised if you're seeing 14mpg all day long. I suppose that's a nebulous statement, but many on here will attest to getting mileage in the low teens with gearing and large tires.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jk00.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	464862   Click image for larger version

Name:	jk01.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	464863  
Old 06-04-2013, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Default @XTZach

@XTZach i attached to pictures to my previous reply... are those the gussets and sleeves on the front axle? from what ive read on this forum, it seems like em....

Quick Reply: New member, New Jeep (pre-Owned), New questions.... Help please...