Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Shocks for a Rubicon, what to get?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr72
How is that? Is the axle longer on a Rubicon? Sway bar bent differently? Both?

BTW I have a sport with Sahara 18" wheels. 265/70r18 rubbed the sway bar.
Not to highjack the thread, but yes to all.

The Sahara wheels are slightly wider @ 8" comp'd to the rubi @ 7.5". Also the offset is different, so that changes a few MM.

Not sure about the sway bar, i havent complared the rubi's to the rest, but it is different.

The d30 axle is slightly shorter from wheel to wheel, from my measurements, by .2".

So add all those up and its quite possible that his will not rub while yours did.

I just like comparing apples to apples....
Old 10-03-2017, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Exclamation

So you think I could get away with putting 285/70/17 tires on my stock Rubicon without issues? No wheel spacers, nothing.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gamerxe
Not to highjack the thread, but yes to all.

The Sahara wheels are slightly wider @ 8" comp'd to the rubi @ 7.5". Also the offset is different, so that changes a few MM.

Not sure about the sway bar, i havent complared the rubi's to the rest, but it is different.

The d30 axle is slightly shorter from wheel to wheel, from my measurements, by .2".

So add all those up and its quite possible that his will not rub while yours did.

I just like comparing apples to apples....
Good to know. All good information.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If we are in the running, here is the info on our rebate that ends on October 31.

Thanks Matt

Promotions
Old 10-03-2017, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mlupacchino
So you think I could get away with putting 285/70/17 tires on my stock Rubicon without issues? No wheel spacers, nothing.
Not sure, its real close. Not all tires measure out the same.

Easy solution is find the tire you like in that size and see if the tire shop will do a test fit. Mount one tire, check for rubbing at full lock in front on the driver side and then back passenger side on the sway bar link.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All stock wheel sizes are 6.25" backspacing and 7.5" wide (there are notes of the special polished wheels being different). The only difference between the rubi and sahara wheels is their diameter.

A tall 285/70/17 tire will rub on the front sway bars at full steering lock. You probably won't run into rubbing on the rear sway bar links unless you have a lift kit (the stock sway bar links fit inside the rear wheels).

It does depend on the individual tire, as even the BFG KO2 and KM2 differ in height by up to 1" in that tire size.

Like they say, see if you can get a test fit. You will probably need at least 1.5" wheel spacers to get the larger tire to fit without rubbing.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
All stock wheel sizes are 6.25" backspacing and 7.5" wide (there are notes of the special polished wheels being different). The only difference between the rubi and sahara wheels is their diameter.
That is what I thought.

However, if it is true that the D44 axle is wider hub-to-hub even by 0.2" AND the sway bar is not in the same place due to differences in how it is bent, then it's possible that 285s would fit a Rubicon while they would rub on my Sport. If the D44 is 0.2" wider then it's only 0.1" per side. A 285-section tire is 30mm wider, which is .6" or so closer to that sway bar so the 0.1" of extra space would not be enough. The sway bar would have to be a half inch narrower at that spot, which I guess is possible, I have no idea.

I still think it's highly unlikely the tires will fit without rubbing.

Also note that since the main problem is at full lock rubbing a sway bar (aside from rubbing fender liners etc.), at which point that 1.5" spacer is not really giving 1.5" extra space. It is a fraction of that, maybe even less. The scrub radius increases a lot so coupled with the larger diameter of the tire the 1.5" spacer may actually bring the tire closer to the sway bar than without it. I'd have to do the math to know for sure, and I won't. Just pointing out that it's not a foregone conclusion that 1.5" spacers give 1.5" extra clearance to the swaybar.

Quick Reply: New Shocks for a Rubicon, what to get?