Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New or Used????

Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird07jk
I was planning on driving a few different ones, Im leaning toward the Sahara as of now, is there alot of difference between the different models as far as driving and handling? And thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated!!
Only rubicon should feel different. Sport and Sahara have the same shocks as each other.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stopped by my local dealer today and asked a few questions, seems like 3.73 my be hard to find around here without ordering, 8 to 10 week wait if ordered, does that sound about right? also I can get 1% below invoice through work, he did show me the invoice on a couple he had on the lot, doesnt seem to be alot of markup on these jeeps, can the 1% below be beat? If I shop around could I get another % or 2 off by using one dealership against the other?
Old 01-07-2015, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redbird07jk
Stopped by my local dealer today and asked a few questions, seems like 3.73 my be hard to find around here without ordering, 8 to 10 week wait if ordered, does that sound about right? also I can get 1% below invoice through work, he did show me the invoice on a couple he had on the lot, doesnt seem to be alot of markup on these jeeps, can the 1% below be beat? If I shop around could I get another % or 2 off by using one dealership against the other?
Not sure where you're located but I wouldn't take the dealers word for it on what invoice is here in the NY area. Every Chrysler dealer I have encountered has been more shady than the next.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My jeep took about 5 weeks from order to delivery. I got lucky and had a friend who is a salesman at the dealership so he was able to get me a good deal. Prior to that, I had been investigating the use of Costco's no haggle price with local dealerships.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Go new.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Owned 4 jeeps over last 22 years. I am in the "new" camp as well... While I generally believe that letting someone eat year 1 depreciation, Jeeps (wranglers) are the exception.

Rationale.

With used you don't know :
1) how it has been treated
2) the quality of parts and install on mods

Had a buddy that bought an "awesome" used jeep and then ended up having to fix so much stuff because the person he bought it from didn't do a good job putting it together.. Good parts.. Bad integration

Also since Jeeps hold their value so well. The difference between a used model (one or two years old) and a new one is not that big a percentage (compared to other cars). And you will want a 2012+ Because of the motor.

I always thing it is best thing to do is by either a stripped down sport or rubicon (if you want the dana 44s and better transfer case). Only buy options that you could not easily / economically add yourself (or have added by someone else). Then build/ mod what you want.

Just my two cents
Old 01-13-2015, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

These things have crazy resale value,
imo Better to just go new
I have been looking for about 2 months now and have given up on a used one. Just too much money for used.
Am now looking for a hydro blue rubicon, not as easy as one might think. May end up just ordering one if I can't find local.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ikaros
These things have crazy resale value,
imo Better to just go new
I have been looking for about 2 months now and have given up on a used one. Just too much money for used.
Am now looking for a hydro blue rubicon, not as easy as one might think. May end up just ordering one if I can't find local.
I just picked up a '15 JKUR in hydro blue a few months ago. Awesome color, and yes hard to find. OP, go with a new one and don't look back. You will have a full warranty, and great resale value down the road. My '15 is a huge improvement over my '07 in every way. You won't regret it.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Test drove a JKU last Friday, really not much price difference over a 2 door, JKU has alot more room in the back but just not sure 4 doors are for me, I'm considering a the sport, but I'm sure once the wife gets on the lot with me we may end up with a Sahara
Old 01-15-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

I'd second every other opinion here...get new. Back in March I paid just over 38K for my 14 JKUR, completely loaded with everything except automatic which I didn't want anyways. That was only about 2-3k more that the typical asking price for the same thing in a 12 or 13 with 15-20k miles. The peace of mind was well worth the extra cash.

Quick Reply: New or Used????