Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

A new way to fund the jeep addiction

Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I agree, Ralph. But only to a certain extent. I come from a very traditional family. And in my family, you do pay for the weddings of your daughters. It's been that way for hundreds of years. I've paid for one and I still have one to go.
Our feelings are the same, actually, as I agree with the tradition as you do. What I was referring to are the young couples out there asking for crowd funding from everyone to pay for their wedding. If you and/or the parents can't afford it, then either wait until you can or have a more modest wedding! But, to go outside of your parents asking for funding so you can have a big wedding, go to someplace fancy for your honeymoon or anything else lavish is just plain wrong!

Last edited by RalphTomaccio; 01-11-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree, Ralph. But only to a certain extent. I come from a very traditional family. And in my family, you do pay for the weddings of your daughters. It's been that way for hundreds of years. I've paid for one and I still have one to go.

Now current thinking is that the bride's and groom's family should split the cost. That would be nice because these things aren't cheap. But I will pay for my second daughter's wedding as well. When it comes to my son, I will split it with the bride's family if they need it.

But I absolutely agree, kids nowadays feel entitled. I believe it all started with the trophies for everyone, win or lose. It made the kids think they should get rewarded just for showing up. If you have ever hired a current generation kid, you know what I'm talking about. They expect to be paid for just showing up. Work is optional.
I would be careful generalizing an entire generation, Sport. Not all kids are like that. I'm only 22, but started working in the electrical field at 14 (full time every break from school). Everything I have was earned, not given (unless you count a birthday or Christmas gift ) I take a great amount of pride in it and am glad that I had to earn and spend my own money growing up for the things I wanted. Then again, I'm pretty traditional as well. The only thing I haven't paid cash up front for was my jeep, the first cars I wrote a check and SOMEHOW I've managed to not have a credit card yet
Old 01-12-2015, 02:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
I would be careful generalizing an entire generation, Sport. Not all kids are like that. I'm only 22, but started working in the electrical field at 14 (full time every break from school). Everything I have was earned, not given (unless you count a birthday or Christmas gift ) I take a great amount of pride in it and am glad that I had to earn and spend my own money growing up for the things I wanted. Then again, I'm pretty traditional as well. The only thing I haven't paid cash up front for was my jeep, the first cars I wrote a check and SOMEHOW I've managed to not have a credit card yet
I certainly didn't mean to generalize an entire generation. That was not my intention. There are exceptions to every rule. I guess a better way to phrase it would be that I find it surprising how many young kids these days feel entitled.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:31 AM
JK Super Freak

I certainly didn't mean to generalize an entire generation. That was not my intention. There are exceptions to every rule. I guess a better way to phrase it would be that I find it surprising how many young kids these days feel entitled.
You're definitely one of the most tactful members here so I didn't think you would. I agree though, it's very difficult to get along with people your age when you can't stand how most of them were raised.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphTomaccio
I know I will probably get blasted by many for my opinion but, it is my opinion and since you asked, I'll tell you. As "lighthearted" as you think it may be, I think it's pathetic that some people think others should contribute to their "wants", not true needs, unless it's a gift for some special occasion like a birthday, graduation, etc.. Much like those who expect family and friends should pay for their wedding expenses so they could have the wedding of their dreams. A wedding gift is one thing, paying for the wedding is something else. If you can't afford it, then save for it until you can.

It's probably a generation thing. Many young people feel as though they are "entitled". The older generation generally feels things should be earned.

I guess I've given away my age, huh?

Those are my feelings and I'm sticking to it.
I agree 100%
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Junkie

Damn kids these days
Old 01-12-2015, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

I looked forward to "gifting" my daughter a nice wedding. She is 28 now and been living with her boyfriend for several years. You can say I am old fashion and out of date but if you want to "play" married for a few years and then get married don't expect Dad and Mom to pay for it. I will give her a nice gift because I do love her but will not pay for a big wedding for her. My wife and I got married before we lived together and have been happily married for over 32 years. Had a small wedding that is what we wanted and parents are hard working without a lot of money. We did not want to put on a big show for a day and just wanted to get married and be together.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

I wasn't too sure about this approach when I saw it last week. But, I do believe in working for what you want. If your friends want to fund you, that's their business. As for using a social media site to acquire monies and put it toward a toy??? Lame in my opinion. Like it or not, all it takes is something as innocent as a post like yours to ask for money for a Jeep on the fund site and the next one is legitimately asking for money for a dying child. The child who needs it, might not get it as a few would doubt the validity. Human nature. It's not right or wrong, but definitely should be reconsidered under the scale of morality. I'll help out in this way. I'll advise you get a good paying job, save some cash, then buy what you want AFTER your needs are met. Hell, open up a CC, build some credit while your at it.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 01-12-2015 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think there's a big difference between someone asking for money to help take care of a sick child and asking for money for a toy jeep.
I wouldn't think twice about giving money to help someone with a sick child.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 AM
ade
JK Enthusiast

Well one think I have learned from this thread is how polite and reserved the members of this forum are. Great forum with great people has just been demonstrated.

Jarrett, my advise to you is be a man and don't go begging to total strangers for some high end luxury item. Save up your cash like everyone else and do it right.

Hope to see you post some proper threads and post soon.

Last edited by ade; 01-12-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: A new way to fund the jeep addiction