Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Nice wheels and winter salt

Old 01-29-2015, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice wheels and winter salt

I plan on purchasing nice wheels in the near future, XD addicts, and I was told that I should not run them in the winter time due to all the salt and stuff they throw on the road because it can ruin them, is this true?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's the long and short of it- Salt is corrosive. It will eat away at paint and other finished surfaces. However, it is not sulfuric acid. If neglected, salt residue will damage your wheels over the long term. Solution, keep them clean and maintained, just as you would the rest of your vehicle. You'll be fine. Best of luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.W.D.eLussey
Here's the long and short of it- Salt is corrosive. It will eat away at paint and other finished surfaces. However, it is not sulfuric acid. If neglected, salt residue will damage your wheels over the long term. Solution, keep them clean and maintained, just as you would the rest of your vehicle. You'll be fine. Best of luck.
Yes, I always clean the salt off my car ASAP after drive on salted roads.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I say yes. Salt is terrible on stuff. I don't even drive my Jeep in the winter because of the salt. I once had chrome rims on a car I drove. One winter I got lazy and didn't put the steel wheels on. After that one winter my rims were flaking and nasty.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
I say yes. Salt is terrible on stuff. I don't even drive my Jeep in the winter because of the salt. I once had chrome rims on a car I drove. One winter I got lazy and didn't put the steel wheels on. After that one winter my rims were flaking and nasty.
I find it humorous and ironic that you do not drive your jeep in the winter, and your pic is of your jeep out in the snow. However your point is still valid.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep is my only vehicle not fortunate enough for a winter ride lol
Old 01-29-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by A.W.D.eLussey
I find it humorous and ironic that you do not drive your jeep in the winter, and your pic is of your jeep out in the snow. However your point is still valid.
Lol. Pic was taken at the dealership after the tech finished the lift and putting the tires on. I bought it last February. It has been tucked in the garage since the snow started flying. Now I'm driving my rusty but semi trusty $1500 Chevy Tahoe.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Note to self, change avatar.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AnvilX14
Note to self, change avatar.
hahaha!! Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 01-30-2015, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I live in upper Michigan and have the same conditions for the winter. I also have only one vehicle (my JK). Salt if left unattended will damage your wheels; however, you don't need to wear yourself out washing it off. By this I mean most after market wheels have some sort of coating to protect them and it will withstand a certain amount of punishment. I have lived in this environment for over 50 years and have had over my fair share of after market wheels. The best and easiest way is to get yourself in the habit of washing your entire vehicle once a week (not for the purpose of having it shiny) for the purpose of getting the salt off. Whether, you do it by hand or your local car wash be sure to do the underside of the vehicle (the trans and transfer, as well as a lot of other stuff, can be affected by the salt). Hope this helped and keep waving.

Quick Reply: Nice wheels and winter salt