JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Nitto trail grappler vs bfg km2 (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/nitto-trail-grappler-vs-bfg-km2-259297/)

-Buck- 01-03-2013 07:47 PM

Nitto trail grappler vs bfg km2

Sorry to post another tire thread but I'm looking for people with real world experience with both of these tires. I'm going to go with a 35x12.5x17. I had the bfg's on my old truck and really liked them a lot but I've heard good things about the nittos. One dislike of the bfg's is they run small and the nittos are heavy. Anyone out there have any opinions? Thanks!!

mattgt5 01-03-2013 08:40 PM

I have run both on on my last three jeeps in 35 and 37" heights. Both are fantastic tires off road. Both are quiet and smooth on road. The nitto has a stronger sidewall supposedly, but I have never had ay issue with either. The only place I have seen a real difference is in tread life. The BFG will last longer and wear better. There are people on this forum that say they have gotten 50k+ out of their TG. I have yet to personally see a set hit 40k.

red2010rubi 01-04-2013 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by mattgt5 (Post 3364762)
I have run both on on my last three jeeps in 35 and 37" heights. Both are fantastic tires off road. Both are quiet and smooth on road. The nitro has a stronger sidewall supposedly, but I have never had ay issue with either. The only place I have seen a real difference is in tread life. The BFG will last longer and wear better. There are people on this forum that say they have gotten 50k+ out of their TG. I have yet to personally see a set hit 40k.

Interesting thoughts I am thinking about these tires currently as well :thumbsup::beer:

rtguy1 01-04-2013 03:24 AM

nitto's are heavy but stronger. bfg's run way small...it will be 33" mounted. in the 35" size the nitto is e rated while the bfg is d rated. nitto's are better imo. have heard about the sidewall issue but no real experience with the issue. my bfg at ta/ko's are tough as nails

JKZinger 01-04-2013 03:59 AM

I have run both and they both did well. I do feel that my current Trail Grapplers are much tougher on the trail as far as sidwalls go and have better on road and off road traction. I also did not need to balance my Nittos as they are perfect as they come from the factory. Bolted them up on my beadlocks and don't even have a vibration at any speed!

-Buck- 01-04-2013 05:30 AM

Thanks for all the replys. I think I'm leaning towards the BFG's. It just bugs me to pay for a 35" and get something closer to a 33" I read in a diferent thread that someone got 35"s and once they were mounted and on his umlimited they measured 33.5":what?:

Ryan0260 01-04-2013 06:25 AM

I would go with the Trail Grapplers. Besides being heavier, they are better performing tires, and tougher. The Bfg's do run small as mentioned, and they do last longer on road if you take care of them, but once a mud terrain gets to a certain depth, they are pretty much useless anyways

HighRoad 01-04-2013 07:50 AM

I've run both and this thread has hit on pretty much all the +/- of each. In the end if you're really looking for size, let that make your decision. You won't like a 33 if you want a 35. GL.

HighTide 01-04-2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan0260 (Post 3365070)
.... but once a mud terrain gets to a certain depth, they are pretty much useless anyways

EXACTLY

Both are great on the trail. I feel the Nittos wear bit better on the pavement.

A 35" Nitto will be larger than a 35" KM2.

mattgt5 01-04-2013 07:39 PM

Not sure why the km2 35 is referred to as a 33. Mine are 34.3. My tg were 34.6. Not a huge difference.