Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Noob Tow Questions

Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Tow Questions

Hubby and I are planning to RV it cross-country when moving west coast to east. We think towing the JK is the best option. What is the best and least expensive setup?
I know I need a tow bar, but I have read that this can be attached to the towed OR the towing vehicle. Which is best? And if I choose a tow bar that attaches to the jeep, is it easy enough to install for a pair of non mechanical people?

And I'd be towing four wheels down, in neutral, yes? (this is a 2 door manual tranny 08 JK). Any other tips?
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've seen alot of people towing cars 4 wheels down. The only real problem with that configuration is backing up. It is difficult even for a seasoned driver. Putting the vehicle on a trailer has some advantages. IF you rent a car trailer, when your done with your trip turn in the trailer. Backing up is alot easier. Miles on your tires and drive train are eliminated. Cut down on damage to your Jeep from throwing rocks, etc. I don't know about cost of a trailer one way vs. a tow bar. IMHO, I would put it on a trailer but this is just an opinion. Good luck with your trip and be safe.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Law requires you to also have a braking device.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could always rent something from U-Haul with the safety features already incorporated into the trailer.

Not sure if you would want to spend the extra $$ - Just thinking out-loud!

http://www.uhaul.com/towing/

Old 03-01-2008, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Flat towing the Jeep is the easiest way. The tow bar that mounts on the RV is the best way to go. When not using it, it stores on the back of the RV. The ones mounted on the car, must be removed completly to drive the car.

A decent tow bar will run a few hundred dollars, and a base plate must be bought for the JK. You will also need to have the JK tail lights work in conjunction with the RV lights. Based on your comment about being non-mechanical, the baseplate installation and tail light wiring should be left to the professionals. Installing the tow bar is simply a matter of putting it into the trailer hitch on the RV and locking it in place with a pin. It can be left in place if you want.

Auxiliarry braking for the JK is required by law in most if not all states. There are various kinds. The simplest one just sits on the floor in front of the drivers seat, and has an arm that clamps on the brake pedal. Plugs into the power outlet for power. It activates when you put the RV brakes on hard enough.

I have towed a Cherokee, a Wrangler TJ, a Grand Cherokee and now my JK, so I have some experience. These have all been automatics, and only require putting the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park, and the ignition key in the "on" position (not running). Not sure what gear a manual trans would be in. Probably explains it in the owners manual.

I have never used a trailer. Unless you have a large diesel RV, your hitch is only rated for 3,500 or 5,000 pounds. The JK is probably around 4,500 pounds, so if you add the weight of a trailer you would be over the 5,000 limit. If your hitch is only rated 3,500 pounds forget towing the JK. The weight should be on the hitch someplace.

I use a Blue Ox tow bar and baseplate, a Brake Buddy aux braking system, and I am going to use a wiring harness made by Cool Tech for the tail lights. I have not installed it yet, just waiting for the weather to warm up.

Sound like a lot, but it's pretty simple once the installation is done. Can hookup in less than 5 minutes.

John
Old 03-02-2008, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for all the advice. We may just end up shipping the Jeep, as most of the RV places we are talking to aren't too keen on the towing idea. One is, but the cost per day is rather prohibitive. Still, my cheap side is balking at 1K to ship each vehicle. $$$$..

Quick Reply: Noob Tow Questions