JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Not so sure about rugged ridge (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/not-so-sure-about-rugged-ridge-265835/)

NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 02-26-2013 09:27 PM

Not so sure about rugged ridge

So i bought this gas cap cover off e bay it is a rugged ridge cover. The magnets fell off i had to crazy glue them like 6 times in 1.5 years. And now the door is warped and wont stay closed. I contacted rugged ridge and asked if they could replace it or up grade it to a gas cap cover that didnt suck. After 5 days and a second e mail to remind them about my concerns they respond with contact the dealer you bought it from and they will look after it. Well i bought it off e bay over a year ago. So that dont work. I hope you will stand by your products better than this rugged ridge.

OH9JK 02-27-2013 02:22 AM

Have you tried contacting the Rugged Ridge forum rep?

Send a PM to Rugged_Ridge

Dralphy 02-27-2013 05:14 AM

Are you sure it's a RR gas cap? Cloud just be a look alike, and they may have just used their name.

Tapa' what?

NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 02-27-2013 05:40 AM

Nope it os rigged ridge it came on a eeal box too.

Jersey_Devil 02-27-2013 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 (Post 3450154)
Nope it os rigged ridge it came on a eeal box too.

I'd contact RR about it... They'll probably replace it for you to keep u a happy customer

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2

Ryan0260 02-27-2013 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by OH9JK (Post 3449993)
Have you tried contacting the Rugged Ridge forum rep?

Send a PM to Rugged_Ridge

I would do this. I have the same gas cap and it has held up great.

red2010rubi 02-27-2013 07:26 AM

That sucks, hopefully they solve this. I love my rugged ridge bumper so far :beer:

xerofall 02-27-2013 08:06 AM

The rep here is a great guy. Met him in Moab once. They saw a picture of my Jeep and noticed my headlights brush guard was broken, bad spot weld, without me asking, they contacted me to arrange a replacement. So try getting ahold of them via the forum.

NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 02-27-2013 02:32 PM

Well i emailed them the responded after the 2nd email. They said i need to contact the dealer i bought if from. Prob is i bought off e bay. And i have also contacted the rugged ridge rep here but no reply yet.

Ruby Tuesday 02-27-2013 04:41 PM

One of the pit falls of eBay, and if the seller wasn't a authorized dealer your screwed, unless RR chooses to help you out.

k0260 02-27-2013 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 (Post 3451025)
Well i emailed them the responded after the 2nd email. They said i need to contact the dealer i bought if from. Prob is i bought off e bay. And i have also contacted the rugged ridge rep here but no reply yet.

Did you already leave feedback for the seller and close the deal? If not, might be a good time to open a case with the seller.

BLK07 02-27-2013 04:58 PM

Contact omix ada... Their awesome.

4x4chick 02-27-2013 05:03 PM

My friend bought a Rugged Ridge gas cap from eBay too and I am sure it is a fake. I got the same one that I bought from a vendor on here and the 2 looks completely different. The eBay one looks cheep compare to the one I bought.

Rugged Ridge does not deal with the customer directly. I had an issue with their back bumper that I bought from Amazon and emailed them several times. Made the mistake to tell them in the email that I bought it from Amazon. They never even responded to my email. Called and left a message and no call back.

A few weeks ago I bought their control arm skid plates through one of the venders on here and the back skids didn't fit. Called them and explain to them the problem and ended up sending them pictures of the problem. The refused to helped me and said I have to contact the company from whom I bought it. Did so and 3 days later got new ones, that fit, and a return shipping label.

My guess is they will NOT help you and it is time to buy a new one.

NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 02-27-2013 05:33 PM

I am fairly sure that mine is a real rugged ridge product it had a box that he came in there was a rugged ridge box It was over a year ago and my eBay history doesn't go back that far I don't even know who the seller on eBay was anymore am I got pictures of the box and pictures of the product I'll post them

NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 02-27-2013 05:44 PM

Here are the pics I took when the gas cap cover first arrived
to me by mail.

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...2/a0fd5e8d.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...2/6c0651c0.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...2/19ca3cde.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...2/a635252a.jpg

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/...2/bfd63944.jpg

NEWWRANGLEROLDCJ7 02-28-2013 01:53 PM

Still no word. Whats the deal.

miless 02-07-2014 12:53 PM

you're not the only one!

1 Attachment(s)
You're not the one RR wont stand behind their product for. They told me the same thing to contact the vendor who sold it to me.

I purchased a RR Light bar, 6 halogen lights and A-pillar switches. The bar itself and switches have held up fine, but the first month I put the lights on they started to rust. and I mean RUST! not only the brackets they connect with but the top of the lights as well that is painted black. the rust just pours over my jeep!

I contacted RR and asked that they send me new lights plus cover the cost to have the old lights taken off and the new ones installed and they said they would not. they said I would have to pay for the removal, shipping and new instillation fees. They would, after they received the lights and reviewed them consider replacing the lights.

So since their part failed they want me to pay to install the product twice, remove once and ship it back to them. seems ridicules to me. why would I pay someone to take off their bad product and install a new one again? I’ve already paid for that.

If you really stood behind your product you wouldn’t ask your customers to incur additional cost to have the problem fixed.

I had planned to purchase the RR rear bumper and tire carrier this month but wanted to see how they would honor their warrantee first. I guess now I’ll have to find another option!

Attachment 529416

Mark Doiron 02-09-2014 02:50 AM

miless--Is there something RR has done that would make you think a new item would not rust again in month?

miless 02-09-2014 01:53 PM

Hi Mark.

I'm honored you spoke to me because I absolutely love your jeep. Definitely one of the finest builds I've seen. You are truly the Jedi master.

I understand all metal objects can rust if a barrier is not applied to the metal and even can if it is. I have just never seen a product rust within 30 days as bad as it has. Every part on my jeep but the tires and trail doors are Rugged Ridge. I would have bought RR tires if they made them and the doors were a gift. I planned to only use RR parts for my build as I think it's a great cost to value and I like their designs.

I also used them because they said they have a 5 year warrantee on their parts. I had hoped they would honor the warrantee they offer without having the customer incur additional cost. They even stated if the part can't be sent in before it's replaced you would have to purchase a new one and return the old before they would consider replacing the original defected item. It seems weird they wouldn't jump to the chance to stand behind the products they as us to buy. I guess I had just hoped for more?

But I love all of the other parts I have purchased from them and have no issue with anything else.

sky 02-10-2014 02:17 AM

I bought the RR gas cover on amazon and it came in a box with rugged ridge logos so it looked legit and all. Had the same problems with it, magnets fell off AND the locking latch is rusted. Thankfully it rusted in the "open" position haha. I got the same responses from them too: contact the dealer you bought it from.

nbdude 02-10-2014 03:00 AM

Have the same problem. Magnet fell off after a month, paint started chipping and falling off after 3. Door still stays close after a year but it doesnt look the best. I bought from an authorize dealer but im not gonna replace it. Not worth replacing a cheapo with a cheapo.

Mark Doiron 02-10-2014 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by miless (Post 3832562)
Hi Mark.

I'm honored you spoke to me because I absolutely love your jeep. Definitely one of the finest builds I've seen. You are truly the Jedi master.

I understand all metal objects can rust if a barrier is not applied to the metal and even can if it is. I have just never seen a product rust within 30 days as bad as it has. Every part on my jeep but the tires and trail doors are Rugged Ridge. I would have bought RR tires if they made them and the doors were a gift. I planned to only use RR parts for my build as I think it's a great cost to value and I like their designs.

I also used them because they said they have a 5 year warrantee on their parts. I had hoped they would honor the warrantee they offer without having the customer incur additional cost. They even stated if the part can't be sent in before it's replaced you would have to purchase a new one and return the old before they would consider replacing the original defected item. It seems weird they wouldn't jump to the chance to stand behind the products they as us to buy. I guess I had just hoped for more?

But I love all of the other parts I have purchased from them and have no issue with anything else.

The only thing I have that is RR are the taillight guards. They've been on there for six years now and I'm very pleased with them. At half the cost of the only other option at the time (Mopar), I've certainly gotten my value from them.

As for my question, it was mostly just to highlight that if you get the same quality again and have them rust again, what have you gained besides 30 rust free days? I don't think they're going to give anyone their money back, and you've lost the time spent replacing the assembly for another bad one (and possibly the money if you paid someone to do it for you). Of course, if there is something that you believe will give better performance out of a replacement set (maybe you read that they changed the finish to address corrosion issues), that makes complete sense that you'd want them to honor their warranty with the better quality product.

As for "contact the vendor" that everyone is mentioning: I expect this could be for any of several reasons. First off, suppliers like to maintain good relations with their vendors. This is why many don't sell direct--they don't want to be seen as competing with their vendors. If they do sell direct, they usually don't undercut the price their vendors sell for. On top of that, some suppliers don't want to be in the direct end-customer contact business. Microsoft is like this with retail customers. Unless you buy direct from them, they don't want to pay support to answer your Windows questions. "Contact the computer manufacturer."

Finally, there has been for the last couple decades a very serious problem with the counterfeiting of goods for import to the U.S. Auto parts in particular were being found in leading retail chains that looked exactly like the genuine part, right down to the boxes and written inserts, but were in fact illegal imports manufactured at third party plants, or sometimes during off-shift hours at the actual plants used by the genuine parts manufacturer (but off-the record so the workers reaped 100% of the sale). Obviously this is illegal, but it does happen. A proper box and even a written warranty don't mean a hill of beans. Manufacturers of course want U.S. Customs to prevent this, but stuff still filters through.

Today, with the advent of sites like eBay, it is much easier for these illegal imports to be sold. Once these goods get through, a manufacturer's best defense against supporting an item that they were never paid for is to refer all support to the vendor. If it's a bona fide vendor, then the customer shouldn't have any problem. If it's an illegal import, then the customer is probably going to be left without recourse. He will blame the manufacturer, who really isn't the manufacturer. And the real manufacturer will take a hit because of that. But, perhaps at some point, the manufacturer hopes that people will get the point: Buy from our vendors. Support us and our vendors, and we will provide you support per the terms of our warranty.

Sand Scorpion 02-10-2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 3832986)
The only thing I have that is RR are the taillight guards. They've been on there for six years now and I'm very pleased with them. At half the cost of the only other option at the time (Mopar), I've certainly gotten my value from them.

As for my question, it was mostly just to highlight that if you get the same quality again and have them rust again, what have you gained besides 30 rust free days? I don't think they're going to give anyone their money back, and you've lost the time spent replacing the assembly for another bad one (and possibly the money if you paid someone to do it for you). Of course, if there is something that you believe will give better performance out of a replacement set (maybe you read that they changed the finish to address corrosion issues), that makes complete sense that you'd want them to honor their warranty with the better quality product.

As for "contact the vendor" that everyone is mentioning: I expect this could be for any of several reasons. First off, suppliers like to maintain good relations with their vendors. This is why many don't sell direct--they don't want to be seen as competing with their vendors. If they do sell direct, they usually don't undercut the price their vendors sell for. On top of that, some suppliers don't want to be in the direct end-customer contact business. Microsoft is like this with retail customers. Unless you buy direct from them, they don't want to pay support to answer your Windows questions. "Contact the computer manufacturer."

Finally, there has been for the last couple decades a very serious problem with the counterfeiting of goods for import to the U.S. Auto parts in particular were being found in leading retail chains that looked exactly like the genuine part, right down to the boxes and written inserts, but were in fact illegal imports manufactured at third party plants, or sometimes during off-shift hours at the actual plants used by the genuine parts manufacturer (but off-the record so the workers reaped 100% of the sale). Obviously this is illegal, but it does happen. A proper box and even a written warranty don't mean a hill of beans. Manufacturers of course want U.S. Customs to prevent this, but stuff still filters through.

Today, with the advent of sites like eBay, it is much easier for these illegal imports to be sold. Once these goods get through, a manufacturer's best defense against supporting an item that they were never paid for is to refer all support to the vendor. If it's a bona fide vendor, then the customer shouldn't have any problem. If it's an illegal import, then the customer is probably going to be left without recourse. He will blame the manufacturer, who really isn't the manufacturer. And the real manufacturer will take a hit because of that. But, perhaps at some point, the manufacturer hopes that people will get the point: Buy from our vendors. Support us and our vendors, and we will provide you support per the terms of our warranty.

This is soo true.. I never buy from ebay. I have alot of Rugged Ridge parts all of wich has held up for the past 2 years. I get all my stuff from cseoffroad.com.. I had bought a snorkle from rugged ridge when I opend the box the aluminum tube looked like it had been hit by a hammer so I called them explained what happened they where unsure what I was talking about but they wanted to send me a replacement. I told them no as I did not think a little ding would impact airflow as it turns out when installing it the little din was in the exact place needed to keep it from rubbing the exaust pipe. so it was designed that way. But rugged ridge was willing to send me one at there cost anyway.