Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil Change at 2500 miles?

Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm so how does it calculate when I need to change it? 2500 seems kind of low.. and I'm not the lead foot type or anything. Anyway, I'll get it changed next weekend.. I have a something like 12 free oil changes at the dealership. Even though I was planning to just do it myself but since it's free I may as well let them do it for now.

side note: if I have that little message dinging at me, and I change it myself, will it automagically know I changed it and stop dinging? If not, how do I make it stop and/or reset it's timer?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Check out the enormous number of posts reference this subject,

OR you could turn your key to the on position, pump the gas pedel three times, turn off the key and remove it...open the door...

That should do it.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
Had a 1997 Miata that I didn't change the oil on first time until 15000 miles. No extra 0's there either. I didn't notice anything special about the oil that came out and I never had any problems with that car either. I think I turned it in with ~20000 miles on it, though.
In 1973, I bought a brand new Volvo 1800ES (it was a 2 door station wagon based on their sports car that I believe was actually assembled by Jensen in the UK - I also had a 1976 Jensen GT "Shooting Brake" of similar configuration based on the Jensen Healey) These were two of the worst cars I ever owned, but I degress. Anyway, I had the Volvo for a year, drove it 70,000 miles (sales job in Pacific NW) and never changed the oil. Maybe that had something to do with it
Old 06-20-2008, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a Dodge Dakota that I NEVER changed the oil in for the three years I owned it. Drove about 40K miles in it.

I wonder if thats why it got such bad gas mileage.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I always change my oil regularly now... learned the hard way.. I had a 94 dodge shadow.. drove it from philly to los angeles.. and lived there for 2 years.. about 3000 miles or so after I got there, the transmission died. never changed the oil and when I got it fixed the guy asked me when the last time I changed the oil was and I was like "what do you mean change the oil?" .. that lesson cost me $2000
Old 06-20-2008, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the guy implied that not changing your engine oil caused your tranny to go out?

Now thats a new one.

Quick Reply: Oil Change at 2500 miles?