JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   oil pan f'd! anyone replaced one yet? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/oil-pan-fd-anyone-replaced-one-yet-50511/)

JackMac4 08-06-2008 07:04 PM

oil pan f'd! anyone replaced one yet?

so I'm on the road right now...doing some work at some of our stores around the state.

Anywho, I've put a lot of miles on lately because of this and stopped by to get my oil changed earlier tonight. I normally change it myself but being on the road...

So as soon as they get below, the guys yells 'dude you really f'd up your oil pan'. I went to Disney last weekend for some crawlin and didn't take it easy at all. So I stuck my head down there and sure enough...looks like I dropped my oil pan square on a big freakin rock. Not surprising, since I also destroyed a tire..those rocks aren't very forgiving.

Amazingly the plug was just barely able to come off...very close to being bent as well. So I need to replace this as soon as I get home.

Cheap? Easy? Anyone with experience speaketh! I assume it just unbolts and then you bolt a new one up and change the oil again.

oh and pics to come once I get home....

bly109 08-06-2008 07:08 PM

Usgaone replaced his already. He said he had to order it through a collision catalog to get just the bottom half. The regular dealer catalog only listed the whole thing. I think it was 40 or 60 bucks and very easy to change.

Edit: I just checked Mopar parts america and they do list the bottom half for $33.42 and the gasket is $9.86

JackMac4 08-06-2008 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by bly109 (Post 629945)
Usgaone replaced his already. He said he had to order it through a collision catalog to get just the bottom half. The regular dealer catalog only listed the whole thing. I think it was 40 or 60 bucks and very easy to change.

Edit: I just checked Mopar parts america and they do list the bottom half for $33.42 and the gasket is $9.86

Nice! Thanks, my parts catalog and service manual are at home. That doesn't sound too bad. Hell..at that price who needs a oil pan skid. I guess you gotta add the price of oil since it would require an additional oil change, but still...

Thanks bly!

I'll PM usgaone...I wonder if it was no biggie to replace.

bly109 08-06-2008 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JackMac4 (Post 629986)
Nice! Thanks, my parts catalog and service manual are at home. That doesn't sound too bad. Hell..at that price who needs a oil pan skid. I guess you gotta add the price of oil since it would require an additional oil change, but still...

Thanks bly!

Yeah, he pointed out that he could buy about 10 oil pans for the price of my rock hard skid:what?::rotflmao1: well 5 if you include the oil :crazyeyes:

I think he said it was just removing the bolts and bolting up the new one. I looked at mine the other day and it looks like there is alot of clearance to change it.

jkkat 08-06-2008 07:39 PM

Rhonda needs one as well on RubyJeep after sundays day out.

bly109 08-06-2008 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by jkkat (Post 630003)
Rhonda needs one as well on RubyJeep after sundays day out.

Kat, what happenned? I thought you had the skid row on it? I know you wheel the shit outa your JK, but how the heck did you bust you pan?:thinking:

Edit, nevermind, Im tired and read it wrong... I thought Rhonda was Rubydoo.... ok, I need to go to bed... :rofl:

ResQGrnRubi 08-07-2008 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by JackMac4 (Post 629986)

Thanks bly!

There is the whole loss of oil issue to worry about though..

wiredawg_mg 08-07-2008 06:04 AM

I to need to replace the oil pan:sad2: Didn't realize that there was a upper and lower. Damn good know. Thanks for the info:thumbsup:

jeeperjkj 08-07-2008 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi (Post 630245)
There is the whole loss of oil issue to worry about though..

Nah, just put some of that oil treatment stuff in there and if you lose the oil it's not a big deal.

I swear, I saw the infomercial...

berg 08-07-2008 08:39 AM

I'm guessing that the worst that can happen (other than splitting the pan open and dropping 5 quarts of oil all over the ground) is for the oil pick up to be pushed out of position, the oil pump sucking air and losing oil pressure.

Hopefully the idiot light would come on. I miss oil pressure gauges.