JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   One thing I would change........ (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/one-thing-i-would-change-3791/)

HEK 02-25-2007 03:39 PM

One thing I would change........

IMHO would be the vent system on the dash, especially when you use the defrost appears that only the center portion of the windshield gets the force of the air...leaving both right and left side to freeze....anyone else notice this ?...I did especially these past few days when I tried to clear the windshield from of the ice....why aren't there any vents that allow the defrost to let air flow on the entire windshield??....who was the genius that did this design??.... someone from the Hummer group??....:naw:

Motocane 02-25-2007 03:48 PM

Welcome to Jeep world. That is just the way it is. Yes, I agree it could be improved. That is the same system that was in the TJ. It just does not go to the outside edges of the front windshield. The new style air vents on the dash are a great improvment and can be directed to help at least get the side window defrosted.

HEK 02-25-2007 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Motocane (Post 36837)
Welcome to Jeep world. That is just the way it is. Yes, I agree it could be improved. That is the same system that was in the TJ. It just does not go to the outside edges of the front windshield. The new style air vents on the dash are a great improvment and can be directed to help at least get the side window defrosted.

:thinking: ...it only takes a couple of extra hoses and (2) 3" vents on the dash and done deal...appears that the designers / en ga niers don't drive Jeeps.....:naw:...without offending anyone here...what would happen if a Japanese Car company would buy JEEP.....sad but true but IMHO Hummer would be a thing of the past..........and we would end up with a vehicle built with more ergonomics in mind....AI..

Motocane 02-26-2007 04:21 AM

I agree that they should have designed that differently. I can't imange it taking much to have fixed a long term shortcoming. Believe me, they improved the JK so much over the TJ, but I agree, it would have been better if they had fixed this as well.

derff96963 02-26-2007 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by HEK (Post 36839)
..without offending anyone here...what would happen if a Japanese Car company would buy JEEP.....sad but true but IMHO Hummer would be a thing of the past..........and we would end up with a vehicle built with more ergonomics in mind....AI..

Yes you did offend me. I am tired of hearing people say Honda and Toyota and the like are such superior cars. This cannot be farther from the truth. I am not going as far to say they are bad but they are not any better. People that own one never tell you the whole true of what all they needed to fix while they had the car. I worked at a national auto parts chain for 3 years. They need things no less often than anything else. The one real difference is parts are alot harder to find. Alot of things need to be purchased at the dealer only. What can be found at the regular parts store is usually at least twice the price. You ever looked up o2 sensors for a toyota tundra? And that is a normal wear item that should be replaced around 100,000 miles if not needed sooner.

Sorry if just bothers me how many people have been blinded like little lemmings into believing things that just are not true......... :naw:

HEK 02-26-2007 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by derff96963 (Post 37285)
Yes you did offend me. I am tired of hearing people say Honda and Toyota and the like are such superior cars. This cannot be farther from the truth. I am not going as far to say they are bad but they are not any better. People that own one never tell you the whole true of what all they needed to fix while they had the car. I worked at a nation auto parts chain for 3 years. They need things no less often than anything else. The one real difference is parts are alot harder to find. Alot of things need to be purchased at the dealer only. What can be found at the regular parts store is usually at least twice the price. You ever looked up o2 sensors for a toyota tundra? And that is a normal wear item that should be replaced around 100,000 miles if not needed sooner.

Sorry if just bothers me how many people have been blinded like little lemmings into believing things that just are not true......... :naw:

My most humble apologies derff96963 and I will not get into a debate over which automaker is better or worse ......maybe if I would have bought a Jeep back when I was in High School in 1975 I would have noticed the improvements and would have not started this thread, but for a 30K vehicle to have poor ventilation especially when you really need it only shows me that "safety" was not on their mind when they designed the vents for the defroster as I had to switch back and forth on the settings while I drove with ice forming outside and the glass fogging up on the inside....... ....:naw:

2K1TJ 02-26-2007 05:42 PM

I think the defroster works pretty good, but my other Jeep is a CJ...

HappyCurmudgeon 02-27-2007 03:30 AM

The defroster in my JK is FAR FAR better than the POS one that was in my F150! That thing fogged over every time i went over the river coming to work. Cooler air... *POOF* no visibility.
In the summertime i left a handtowel on the dash to wipe it off quickly, In the winter it frosteded up, i had to scrape the INSIDE of the window. IT completely sucked & it was extremely dangerous! :angry:

My defroster works fine, i put it on defrost/footwell and i am more than toasty warm, plus i can actually SEE where i am driving. At 65mph over a bridge that is roughly 3/4 of a mile across, I consider that a huge plus! :thumbs:

101gargoyles 03-08-2007 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by derff96963 (Post 37285)
Yes you did offend me. I am tired of hearing people say Honda and Toyota and the like are such superior cars. This cannot be farther from the truth. I am not going as far to say they are bad but they are not any better. People that own one never tell you the whole true of what all they needed to fix while they had the car. I worked at a national auto parts chain for 3 years. They need things no less often than anything else. The one real difference is parts are alot harder to find. Alot of things need to be purchased at the dealer only. What can be found at the regular parts store is usually at least twice the price. You ever looked up o2 sensors for a toyota tundra? And that is a normal wear item that should be replaced around 100,000 miles if not needed sooner.

I 2nd 3rd and 4th that and unless they buy a japscrap model built in north america, they're kissing bye-bye to their and their neighbor's jobs.
As far as these people I see and hear about with interior fogging, it cracks me up they haven't figured out how to leave the window open a bit for some ventilation

1BADJK 03-08-2007 01:58 PM

Hell with the windshield.. How about an Antenna defroster..... We get a lot of freezing fog here.. and the going down the freeway the antenna freezes up like an Icicle.. then is starts swinging around as if possessed.. Eventually its starts smacking the windshield then I have to pull over and break off the ice before it breaks the windshield... Its a jeep.. I've owned 5.. Like to see some of those new to the jeep world own an older CJ.. Then lets see what they complain about on the new ones.. .. ha..