Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinion required - JK vs. LJ ??

Old 12-02-2014, 12:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion required - JK vs. LJ ??

Just sold my JK, it was probably the most heartbreaking decision I ever took.

It was a 2 door JK as can be seen on the pic.

I am considering buying a new Wrangler:

Which is why I wanted to ask, which is best in your opinion.. JK or LJ, pros and cons of both, and what about the Brute?

Looking forward to your feedback!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	586435
Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had a 2dr JK and an LJ. Now I have a JKU and I love it the most. Plus it's larger, so you have more room to pee behind it. (Look at the original post pic, if you think that last comment was strange)
Old 12-02-2014, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

JK's are much more comfortable than the LJ's. Not only that when you lift a JK, there is less to consider and at least with the RK lifts, less expensive than the LJ. Comes down to user preference and or budget.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Freak

Just my opinion but I always thought the LJ looked a bit odd. Will this be your daily driver? I had a 2000 TJ before my JKU and honestly would not consider another TJ, YJ or LJ as anything but an extra vehicle.

Nevertheless, I've heard that the 103" wheelbase of the LJ is kind of the sweet spot for a 4" lift and 37" or 40" tires, so if you're looking for a platform to work with for off road rig, I'd say its a good one. But keep in mind, for those size tires you will probably need to swap both axles. $$$
Old 12-02-2014, 08:38 AM
JK Newbie

I feel the JK(U)s have a lot of advantages over the TJ/LJ. I am very happy with my JKU. I didn't pay much more for my 09 JKU than I would have had to pay for an 06 LJ with higher mileage.
Old 12-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should ask yourself what the primary purpose of the vehicle will be.

If you plan to daily drive it or haul the family around, JK all the way.

If you plan to build a hardcore wheeler where most of the stock components are getting replaced anyway, then the LJ is a cheaper platform to start from and has almost perfect wheel base.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:42 AM
JK Junkie

Always liked the LJ, however it seems they are getting harder and harder to find with lower miles. I have had a JK and a JKU. Love the newer engine and the space of the 4 door
Old 12-04-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My father in law has an LJ. Neat rig. When they first came out, I thought they looked a bit funny--wiener Jeep! I don't know how or why, but the look kind of grew on me, and the extra space while still being able to have a 2-door and a relatively short wheelbase is pretty cool. I think it's going to become more desirable with age as fewer and fewer exist.

That said, it was based on aging architecture and the JK is more configurable, at least in my opinion. We've been talking about lifting that LJ and it's going to be quite expensive for what he wants to do...2-3" and he wants to go with a narrow(er) 33" tire, like maybe 33x10.5, and it's still not going to have the clearance or agility of a lightly modded JK.

I'd love to have an LJ as a hobby rig, but since I started out with a JK, it would be pretty hard to pry my 2-door JK from my hands...

With the Brute, you're going to the longer Unlimited wheelbase and if I recall, it's a $70k truck. Not worth it except for the "cool" factor, IMO. You could have a couple of stock 2-door JK's for that price, or just build one and save like $35k.

That's my $0.02 anyway.

Quick Reply: Opinion required - JK vs. LJ ??