JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   opinions needed (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/opinions-needed-32076/)

co jeep 03-11-2008 07:37 PM

opinions needed

I just bought a used 2007 Rubicon Unlimited a week ago. It is a dual top version and that is how the dealership advertised and represented it. I even paid $1,500 more than another Rubi in Denver since the Jeep in Denver was a soft top only(not to mention the sales manager where I bought my Jeep told me "ours is more expensive because it has both tops).

Well, Today I was looking thru my Jeeps owner manual about how to put the soft top up. I have never owned a wrangler before, and I thought that the top in the rear cargo area was the complete top. To make a long story short, the soft top is missing the door frames and all windows. I called my salesman today and told him teh top was not complete, and his comment was "Let me check around. I dont know if they were included". I havent heard back from him yet, but based on his comment, I feel I might have a fight on my hands.

I guess I would just like some opinions on how far I should take the fight if needed. The windows are close to $300 alone, and I cant even find a price on the door frames. Or am I out of luck because I didnt take the time to fully check that the top was all there. I just trusted the fact that the dealer advertised the Jeep as a dual top that it was complete.

Sorry for the rambling, just kind of pissed off right now.:mad:

Yamaha90 03-11-2008 07:41 PM

Dual Top option is for both tops...complete.:thinking: hopefully it's just a mishap

Goose 03-11-2008 08:05 PM

Yes, the top should be complete. I priced door frames a while ago and they were ridiculous... $200ish, I think. For the price of windows and frames, you could buy a used soft top from another member on here.

As far as how to take it? All the way to the end. I would take it until it's over. Even if it costs you $ to have a lawyer draft a letter to the dealership telling them that it was false advertising and that you are going after their license.
Saying "I don't know if they were included" is a bull$#it comment and he knows it. It's not a dual top unless the WHOLE TOP is there. Otherwise, it's an expensive bikini top with a frame.

If it's an honest mistake, take the rest of your top and let it go, if they are trying to shiest you, go for blood.

Congrats on the purchase, by the way. I hope you enjoy it. :yup:

Seryoga 03-11-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by utahgoose (Post 383214)
Yes, the top should be complete. I priced door frames a while ago and they were ridiculous... $200ish, I think. For the price of windows and frames, you could buy a used soft top from another member on here.

As far as how to take it? All the way to the end. I would take it until it's over. Even if it costs you $ to have a lawyer draft a letter to the dealership telling them that it was false advertising and that you are going after their license.
Saying "I don't know if they were included" is a bull$#it comment and he knows it. It's not a dual top unless the WHOLE TOP is there. Otherwise, it's an expensive bikini top with a frame.

If it's an honest mistake, take the rest of your top and let it go, if they are trying to shiest you, go for blood.

What he said. =)

Its not your fault, you shouldn't have to check if its there. Whats next, next time you buy a car you should check if air filter is installed? Make them get you a new set of windows and door pillars.

co jeep 03-11-2008 08:16 PM

Another question guys. Are all soft top windows tinted or is that an option. I have the privacy glass in the rear doors and the hardtop, so I would guess that the soft windows should be tinted as well.

co jeep 03-11-2008 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by utahgoose (Post 383214)

I'm already enjoying it. Just need to find the money now to buy a lift, wheels, tires,...the list goes on and on! I think the Jeep was just a down payment on all the modifications:rotflmao1:

Poptop 03-11-2008 08:36 PM

If the jeep came from the factory with tinted windows and both tops, the soft top windows would be tinted. I ordered both dual tops and paid $300 for tint. Both tops came tinted.

As far at the missing parts for the soft top, it sould be complete. The parts you are missing would add up to @ $500 from Mopar.

blazer4949 03-11-2008 09:24 PM

With the dual tops, there should have been 2 cardboard boxes in the rear with the windows and stuff.

Black08X 03-11-2008 09:30 PM

Ah dealerships. Nothing makes my blood boil quite like your typical American car dealer. If I had the capital I'd buy a Jeep dealership out and on my first day I'd hold an all hands staff meeting with my sales staff and I'd say . . .

"I have one question before we begin. How many of you have been in the car business longer than 1 year."

People raise their hands.

"Everyone with your hand up, get out, you're fired."

Then I would start over from scratch. Close the dealership down for a couple weeks while I hired new staff, and trained them about the importance of customer service. For instance, when a customer calls you and says "Hey, I need the rest of my pieces for my soft top." and you tell them you are going to call them back then that's exactly what you better do, today, within the hour. Not tomorrow or never because you got sidetracked and forgot. I wouldn't hire anyone with experience in the car business, not even service managers. Only mechanics as they don't deal with the public.

Call me sexist but for sales staff I would make it a point to seek out attractive women in their mid 20's, preferably with a little education under their belt. Jeep's sell predominately to men and men would rather buy their Jeep from a nice young woman, they trust them more than they do some sleazy sales guy.

There's a hundred other things I would do of course and I've ranted enough so I won't bore you fellas with that. It just steams me when things like this happen. Why didn't the dealership make sure the top was complete before sending the customer home? Why can't a sales guy do a simple thing like call you back even if only to say "I haven't got an answer yet but I'm working on it." ? Why are they charging you $1500 for a dual top package? If you order a soft top only jeep the cost fo the soft top is zero. If you order a hardtop jeep it adds $945. Why are they adding another $555 to sell you a top that is otherwise free? I would think that given that you are buying a Rubicon and given that a Rubi is by no means cheap, they could throw in a soft top that costs nothing. That's just called good customer service.

Anyway, sorry to rant on. I hate dealerships. God I hate them.

PegaZus 03-12-2008 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Black08X (Post 383293)
"I have one question before we begin. How many of you have been in the car business longer than 1 year."

People raise their hands.

"Everyone with your hand up, get out, you're fired."

The only problem with that is sometimes the experienced guy is worth it. Take our used Commander experience. The new guy, with less than two months at the dealer, was unable to get the deal we needed. So we walked out without buying. Monday morning, the guy I ordered my JK from, with nearly a decade of sales experience, calls asking why we walked. He then asks that if he gets to the payment we wanted on Saturday if we'd still be interested. Now the wife has beat me to Jeep-hood because the experienced guy knew who to box about the ears in order to get the sale completed. And we wound up with a payment less than what we were wanting. Even got a second key made for free.

So firing everybody with experience might not be a good idea!

Now, back on topic, the problem could be that when it was traded in to the dealer, the previous owner may have kept the soft top windows! If so, there's not a lot the dealer could do about that. If they're serious about customer service, they'll do their best to get a set for you.