Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions on new jeep

Old 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a stock 2-door out and road test it to compare ride. A lot of people have lifts up to 4-1/2" that ride very close to stock, it just takes $$ and good kit. Also take a stock 4-door out to see if you might like the room inside and compare the ride to the stock 2-door. You can fit 33s under it without having to lift 3-4 inches
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chiggerdude
My wife currently has a 2010 JK Wrangler sport. I've lifted it 4" and put on 34" Mickey tires. She loves that thing and I can't get her to let me drive it.
My question is I'm toying with the idea of either a JKU or another JK for me.
What are your thoughts about things you'd do differently or again if you were to buy another one?
I do some interstate driving and with the short wheel base (and lifted) her jeep is too much for the interstate.
Either way I plan on doing some sort of lift and want somewhat of an aggressive stance that's still "highway" worthy. 2.5" lift and maybe? 33" tires?

Any input will be appreciated!

Brian
Regarding your 2010: It's probably loss of caster from the 4" lift along with the effects of larger tires (more mass and more leverage). Adjustable lower control arms and a stronger track-bar (less flex than stock) would probably make a big difference. Some people do more, but that's what a buddy of mine with a 4" lift (4-door) has and it drives fairly well.

A simple 2" lift with 33's doesn't have the higher costs of larger setups to get good steering, and the wear and tear is going to be less. In my 2-door I've made 900 mile road trips in one day several times without thinking twice. As for off-road ability, the vid in the boring build (in sig below) is a decent example.

A 2-door wont carry near as much as a 4-door, but in my limited experience it takes less lift and tire size for about the same ability. A longer wheel base tends to feel more stable on the highway, but of course the turning radius is not as tight. It's all a compromise, including the cost...

Last edited by Mr.T; 07-18-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: grammar - spelling
Old 08-01-2017, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided on a 2017 JKU Sahara. I was apprehensive on getting black, but it's really growing on me. The weather here in the Midwest has been great this summer. I've only had the front roof panels in 1 day since my purchase.
Let the modding begin.
Thanks for all of the responses.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I think you'll be happy with the 4dr. Got best of both worlds now.....one of each

Quick Reply: Opinions on new jeep