Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions on wheels please.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on wheels please.

Given the choice.
which stock wheels does everybody prefer?

jk Moab 17” 5 spoke wheel

Or
jk Rubicon wheel.

I realize early model rubicons came with the Moab wheel, but I am referring to the new style rubicon wheel.

thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

The new wheels are awlful. Look like they came from subaru. I would not put them on my jeep if they were free.
The following users liked this post:
63expert (02-16-2018)
Old 02-26-2018, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always liked the look of the basic 5-spoke wheel. When I upsized my wheels/tires, I got Quadratec's Moab-look wheels (and larger BFG MT's). They're not too busy looking, or overly stylized. And they're easy to wash!
Old 03-02-2018, 11:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The Moabs have always been my favorite.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MOAB wheels and the polished anniversary wheels I picked up for mine are my favorite. Anything but black wheels...
7 spoke polished

Last edited by joe12jk; 03-03-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Asking for preferences on wheels is a tough call. They're just one of those things where there is a wide variety of tastes and people tend to have a strong bias for their own personal tastes. Alls that really matters is which one you prefer.

On that same thought, I don't understand why so many people like black wheels. It probably has to do with the era I grew up in, because the 1st thing which comes to mind for me when I see black wheels, is seeing an old beat up station wagon with the wood paneling on the sides, where the hub cabs have fallen off, and what's left are the exposed factory black steely wheels.

As such.....

However, many people seem to like the black wheels so I realize I'm in a minority. I know I had a difficult time finding something I liked that wasn't black, or chrome when shopping for my wheels.

I'm sure it's a similar experience as TheDirtman said where he thinks the Rubicon wheels look like Subaru wheels. That's not what popped into my head, but I can see that viewpoint. I think I may prefer the Rubicon wheels over the Moabs if I had to choose. What's wrong with Subaru wheels? Probably the same thing that's wrong with my viewpoint of black wheels.

It reminds me of when my mother had a Dodge Durango and she put some chrome aftermarket wheels on it, with the rivet studs, circular inner holes, and a big gaudy center cap on them. I thought they were pretty hideous looking, but heck if before she traded that Durango in, she listed those wheels up in the personal ads, and some Mexican guy drove 200 miles to come pick them up for $1300. Which was more than what she was asking. He made that offer sight unseen just to make sure she wouldn't sell them to someone else before he drove the 200 miles to get them. He actually paid more than what she originally bought them for, but I guess he really liked those wheels and they were no longer available anywhere else. Goes to show, one mans view of trash is another man's treasure.

Last edited by Rednroll; 03-05-2018 at 06:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I personally love the new rubicon wheels. Only did is they are 7.5" wide and 6.2" backspace. The new QT ones in that design are about perfect 8.5" wide and less bs.

Quick Reply: Opinions on wheels please.