Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Overland ver. Overland

Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I don't know why, TH, but this is all I see of your post when I select it. Please repost because the teaser window shows me you're discussing food: A favorite topic!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladimer
I do always chuckle to myself when I see folks post in the expedition thread or on the exp forum when they slap a set of driving lights on the front of their Jeep and it is exp. ready

In my opinion, you should be able to live out of the vehicle over a long period of time. I don't mean you put a sleeping back in it and problem solved, I mean the vehicle should of relatively self sustainable and support you for the length of your journey.
Oh damn! I forgot the lights!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Compromising food and accomodations!

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Sounds like you compromise on the food, whereas I compromise on the sleeping accommodations. My tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag could easily fit a small backpack, though I've found a crag bag (for climbing gear) more suitable both because the fabric is stronger, and because it has a flat bottom so it doesn't roll around on the shelf I store it on (When I used my backpack, it kept falling behind the fridge when I pulled the fridge out on its rack). I'd rather eat well, which demands proper cooking gear, a fridge, etc. I suppose I could opt for a RTT, but I've just gotten very comfortable after many years of sleeping on the ground. I find that the stiffness wears off after an hour or so, LOL!
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteelPassCamping_.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	577925

Our menu is beef jerky and granola. A two-door with two people is a bit spartan... One time we went with a true foody, probably like you Mark, and it was like being invited to a restaurant in the middle of nowhere.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why, TH, but this is all I see of your post when I select it. Please repost because the teaser window shows me you're discussing food: A favorite topic!
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead
Food wise it just depends if you want to carry the extra weight. Usually consists of Pasta Sides, spam, salami, tortillas, jerky, etc. Although when we hike in Death Valley several locations still have wood burning stoves intact so we have had sausages, bacon, eggs, etc.

Nice MSR Motha Hubba, been thinking of picking one up for car camping. I had the one man version for a while, good tent and a cinch to setup. Weighed about 3lbs though so switched to something lighter since I was on the ultralight craze of having a 10lb base weight at the time.
Hmm, dunno.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Hmm, dunno.
That was on my phone. I see it on the desktop PC. Go figure. I think JKF is having some issues because on the phone last night I wasn't seeing much in the way of new posts. This morning on the PC, I'm seeing "new" posts (bold text) dating back several days.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... Nice MSR Motha Hubba, been thinking of picking one up for car camping. ....
Actually, that's the Hubba Hubba. And it got to be so worn out that I needed a new tent. So in the future you'll sometimes see my new green one instead of that orange one. I have a few other tents, as well, and the friend who sometimes travels with me has a couple of his own, so sometimes we use those. But my favorite is that Hubba Hubba if I'm tenting alone.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from

Name:	image-3450420502.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	582405

To

Name:	image-2604163037.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	582407

Name:	image-2757142980.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	582408

Can overland and rock crawl, camp up off the ground and bring more gear, and only lose MPGs when towing instead of having an empty roof rack on 24/7...to me, it was the best of both worlds option.

Do I miss my Gobi rack, absolutely! It was great, but with the jeep as my daily driver the , I needed mileage so retooled the setup to be able to do both crawling and longer haul overland trips.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Cedo Nulli
I went from

Attachment 582405

To

Attachment 582407

Attachment 582408

Can overland and rock crawl, camp up off the ground and bring more gear, and only lose MPGs when towing instead of having an empty roof rack on 24/7...to me, it was the best of both worlds option.

Do I miss my Gobi rack, absolutely! It was great, but with the jeep as my daily driver the , I needed mileage so retooled the setup to be able to do both crawling and longer haul overland trips.
You should post these pic's up in this thread. Don't go there unless you have a few hours to get lost--it's pretty long!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...see-em-181613/
Old 10-31-2014, 01:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When I think about overland travel, I think about the ability to explore regions and be self-sufficient versus the ability to get to a destination and then be dependent on the services/accomodations of that destination. The build of the vehicle would follow suit and the goal would be versatility with regard to climates, terrain, and road surfaces/lack thereof.

I guess my Jeep could be, but probably not. The best I've done is a couple of days of dry camping where I was dependent on nothing but the Jeep. Cargo space was at a premium, but it was nonetheless enjoyable, but it's definitely a "weekend" overlander versus an "expedition" overlander. If I ever follow my dream of doing things like "taking off to Alaska" or "Exploring Montana" or "Seeing the sights of Western Canada" I'll probably pick a bigger vehicle.

I've seen some great builds based on fullsize vans, and I've always admired the vehicles that Earthroamer puts out, although the $470k pricetag better come with delivery on Mars, plus a guided expedition of the red planet! A Ford F550 with a modified camper shell just cannot be anywhere near that expensive.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should post these pic's up in this thread. Don't go there unless you have a few hours to get lost--it's pretty long!

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-s...see-em-181613/
I'm in there a lot Mark, just been lurking a lot lately instead of posting. Haven't had much time to focus on Jeep things...

Maybe I'll luck out and be able to move West US in 2016...get out and do a bit more overlanding than I can in FL (when I'm not running around the Middle East).

Quick Reply: Overland ver. Overland