Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Passenger rear brake/turn signal issues

Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger rear brake/turn signal issues

I have an intermittent issue with my passenger rear turn signal/brake light. I’ve swapped in new bulbs dozens of times. I bought and installed a new pigtail. I’ve traced out the grounds and everything seems to be ok. What really puzzles me is how the issue only seems to arise at highway speeds. I can drive around town and never have an issue. Once I get above 65-70 mph, I will get the message on my dash that the bulb is out. Sometimes, it will appear without engaging the brake or turn signal.

It is has to be a connection problem in the circuit. I’ve had the battery disconnected for various installs over the last few months so anything weird in the TIPM should’ve reset. Would it be worth replacing the multi-function switch? Once I kill the jeep and start it back up, the problem disappears... until I get over 65mph again. It’s driving me crazy!

2013 JKUR.. any tips???
Old 01-23-2019, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Seems odd since you already changed the bulbs. I don't think there's anything at 65mph which would cause the lights to stop working. I would think vibration likely being the coincidental reason for this. What I would suspect is possibly there is some corrosion on the electrical socket contacts that the bulb plugs into. Maybe try getting some electrical cleaner and try to clean up those contacts with a small brass brush.

I recently had a similar problem with my front/passenger turn signal were it would work intermittently. You know, usually when a cop is around that's when it decided to stop working type of thing. However, replacing the bulb fixed my problem.

Last edited by Rednroll; 01-23-2019 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

To piggyback on what RednRoll said about cleaning it, use a pencil eraser to rub the heck out of the bulb socket.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

I’ll try cleaning it.. the wiring harness is less than 6 months old though. It was the first thing I replaced when the problem started. I may also try switching the harnesses from driver to passenger and see if the problem follows the harness.

thanks guys
Old 01-24-2019, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

I tried searching for some turn signal wiring diagrams. I the best I could find was in this thread, where there was a similar problem.

Maybe it can be useful.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...issues-182051/
Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

​​​​​soooo.. tried a few other things with no luck. Figured I’d check into the TIPM in case I had to go that route. Here’s what I found... how it was even working at all is beyond me...I’m unsure what could have caused this and I’ve only owned the Jeep for about six months. I’m going to make the assumption that this was the culprit of my issues.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys..

I believe I finally stumbled upon the culprit...

Was barely able to spot this rats nest with my work lamp, so I removed the TIPM and sure enough.. looks like a mouse went to town on this harness at some point...

Old 01-25-2019, 06:20 AM
Super Moderator

For some reason, mice and other rodents love the taste of automotive wires. Glad you found it.

I had a similar situation when I was in Europe. I had a rental and parked in the hotel parking lot. I noticed a bunch of rabbits hopping around in the grass around the hotel and didn't think nothing of it. The next morning I went to go to work and the rental wouldn't start. I had to call the rental place (AVIS) and have them bring me another car and tow the other one. 2 weeks later AVIS informed me the wiring harness had been chewed by animals and wanted to charge me for the towing and the repairs. I let them talk to our corporate travel department since AVIS was listed as one of our preferred partnership rental companies and let them figure out if they wanted to continue to stay on that list or not. Working for a company with 50,000 employees where a lot of us travel, AVIS decided to waive the charges.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow! I had mice get in my wiring as well. Crazy how they decide that's something they want to chew on.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jedg
Wow! I had mice get in my wiring as well. Crazy how they decide that's something they want to chew on.
Going from memory, which is not my best asset lately. I believe I read that with automotive wires, the outside insulator is made from an organic material so they are earth friendly biodegradable. So essentially they're made from vegetables which just so happens to be a natural food source for rodents.

Quick Reply: Passenger rear brake/turn signal issues