Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Plasti-Dipping Wheels Tomorrow

Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Plasti-Dipping Wheels Tomorrow

Got some smoke colored Plasti-Dip and am going to give it a try tomorrow. I wanted something close to argent color, but didn't want to wait for it to be shipped, so I found this color at Menard's. We'll see how it turns out. I'm hoping to protect the wheel finish from road salt in the winter. They've got a little bit of corrosion near the center caps, so hopefully this will put an end to that and look good at the same time.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did my wife's Z4 and it turned out great. I stuffed index cards between the tires and wheels and wrapped a garbage bag around the brakes and rotors. I did 5 coats and it turned out great.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found it easier to take the wheels off first. I also couldn't do the index card thing for some reason. Go heavy. As soon as you put them in the light, you'll see a ton of holes.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zroe
I just did my wife's Z4 and it turned out great. I stuffed index cards between the tires and wheels and wrapped a garbage bag around the brakes and rotors. I did 5 coats and it turned out great.
That's what I'm going to do. I'm not going to bother taking them off. Also, I've seen Youtube videos where you didn't even have to use the index cards. The stuff just peel right off the rubber.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cutman
I found it easier to take the wheels off first. I also couldn't do the index card thing for some reason. Go heavy. As soon as you put them in the light, you'll see a ton of holes.
Gonna do a whole can for each wheel. Hopefully I can get at least 4 and maybe 5 coats. I've got a can of glossifier, too, but I'm not sure I'll use it. Is the glossifier the same stuff, except clear, or is it just a coating that makes it glossy, but not thicker?
Old 12-21-2014, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

You need multiple thin coats to get it thick enough to peel, if you lay it on to heavy it will run. Tape off or index card the tires as the overspray on the tires is a bitch to get off. If you pull the tires, the next time you take your lugs off the dip will peel out of the lug holes. Have done multiple sets of wheels and had best results on the car with the garbage bag stuffed covering rotors and taped off the tire at the rim edge. Still have to do my jeep wheels gunmetal gray, but haven't had a time where the weather cooperated with me yet.

Post some pics
Old 12-24-2014, 06:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Cutman
Multiple thin coats (3or4) about 20-30 mins apart is how this product should be applied per manufacturer directions.

It'll start off real thin, almost as if nothing is applied but will cover fully by the last coat.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

I didn't get the chance to do it before leaving on my trip to Michigan. I have a bunch of Christmas stuff to do, and I've got some serious cleaning to do on the Jeep, then I'll get it done and will post pictures. I've got smoke colored Plasti Dip, so it should be interesting to see how it comes out. If I don't like it, I'll put a top coat or two of black over it.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

FYI, if you paint off of jeep quarters fit perfect in lugnut holes. Gives nice clean circle that does distort when installing.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

I was terribly unsatisfied with the smoke plastidip and ended up just doing the first layer on each wheel in smoke followed by additional layers in black. Be aware that when rotating your tires the plastidip will peel off when tightening your lug nuts.

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dipping Wheels Tomorrow