Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Plasti-Dipping Wheels Tomorrow

Old 12-27-2014, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I plastidipped my wheels over two years ago... I have not had any issues of peeling when rotating. I left the wheels on the jeep, covered the rotors with plastic bags and used painters tape over the lug nuts. No need to mask the tires, it really peels off like in the youtube videos. I did not remove the center caps when painting... I was expecting an issue when removing them as I rotate, but have not had any issues. I have a bike rack that mounts behind the the spare tire so I need to remove the center cap on that wheel.

I also dipped my front grill at the same time. Since this pic, I (easily) removed the plastidip from the jeep logo.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Those look fantastic! Are they just flat black, dark grey, and did you use any glossifier? The second pic looks more like a tungsten or dark grey.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be doing them without removing the wheels, too. I'm going to try one wheel today in smoke color, just to see how it looks. I'm hoping it looks like AEV's Argent color, but I doubt it will. If it doesn't, I'll put a couple coats of black over the top.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmwil
Those look fantastic! Are they just flat black, dark grey, and did you use any glossifier? The second pic looks more like a tungsten or dark grey.

Thanks for sharing! I'll be doing them without removing the wheels, too. I'm going to try one wheel today in smoke color, just to see how it looks. I'm hoping it looks like AEV's Argent color, but I doubt it will. If it doesn't, I'll put a couple coats of black over the top.
Thanks! They are just the standard flat black applied in 5 or so lighter coats, no glossifier. I did take off my spare b/c it was easy enough to do, and I didn't want any overspray on the back of my jeep. if the overspray is thick enough, then it is easy to peel off... but faint little bits would be a pita to remove. If I were you, I'd call around to the local Lowes and HD's. Both around be stock the gunmetal color. I have never used the smoke, but it is my understanding that the thicker it is on, the darker it gets. you might need to go darker than you would like to get the required thickness of the dip. You could even dip them any color and then spraypaint over with the rustoleum argent wheel paint. just know that you will need to mask everything for the duplicolor.

The difference in color has to do with light... well that and the 1st picture was with a crappy cell phone in a waterproof case and the 2nd was with a dslr with the sun shining directly on the part of my jeep being photographed.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crianbipar
I was terribly unsatisfied with the smoke plastidip and ended up just doing the first layer on each wheel in smoke followed by additional layers in black. Be aware that when rotating your tires the plastidip will peel off when tightening your lug nuts.
That's why I took my wheels off. And I didn't do my lugs. But Discount Tire still scratched the shit out of me.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job! I used this product before, but it turned out bad. Clearly I didn't apply it properly because you're looks great.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by crianbipar
I was terribly unsatisfied with the smoke plastidip and ended up just doing the first layer on each wheel in smoke followed by additional layers in black. Be aware that when rotating your tires the plastidip will peel off when tightening your lug nuts.
I'm in the middle of the process right now, and I did exactly what you did with the smoke color. It almost looks clear, so I don't like it. I'm taking the other three cans of it back tomorrow. I went with grey, and I'm really liking the looks of it, the more coats I get on there. I'm going to put one or two coats of glossifier on after I'm done.

I'll post some pics, too. I always liked the way the yellow center caps looked on AEV Pintler wheels, but I think I'm going to make the center cap blue. I think it brings the bluish hue out of the grey, and it also brings the blue out of the Steel Blue color of the Jeep. I can always cover it back up with grey if it doesn't look right.

Anyway, it is going well, so far. I'll try and get it out for some pics tomorrow. I didn't realized just how scratched up and worn my Moabs were looking until I got right up on them with bright light. Thank goodness for Plasti-Dip. They look brand new, now.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

It is done! I'll have pics this afternoon.

Quick question...Can you go back later, after it is cured and even after it has been dirty and cleaned again and again, and put a new coat over the old coat? I'm just thinking about what I'll do if I don't like the grey color or if I get tired of it and just want to go black.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Yes you can. I touch up mine sometimes. They've been dipped for a year now. I've only had to touch up when i got new tires balanced. It self levels, it won't look layered or anything. I just wipe the dust off and spray over. Looks like new.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Ok, here it is! I'm not sure how much I like the grey in the light, but I'm going to keep it on there awhile just to see. Part of me really likes it, part of me wants to cover it with black. The Steel Blue Jeep color really brings the blue hue out of the grey wheels. Opinions welcome!

Here is how I did it:

Here it is with no sunlight:

With sunlight:

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 autocorrect:

Last edited by dmwil; 01-02-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:08 PM
JK Freak

I dont see any pics :-/

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dipping Wheels Tomorrow