JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   The poor Jeep only has 2,800KM on it and it may be totaled. :( (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/poor-jeep-only-has-2-800km-may-totaled-277322/)

2013-JeepJK 06-09-2013 08:34 PM

The poor Jeep only has 2,800KM on it and it may be totaled. :(

So i won't discuss what happened as per the insurance companies request... But the long and the short of it is i got hit by one of those massive towable RV things and the Jeep is MESSED up... From what i could see here's what's wrong; Does it sound totaled? (Crossing fingers it's not...) (2013 2dr sport)

Front diff is leaking badly, axle tube is cracked, whole driver side body is buckled in, the shock is buckled in half, the coil spring is sitting at about a 45 degree angle, the whole axle is pushed back to the point i can't turn the wheel passenger more than a turn and if i turn driver at all the tire rubs the frame, i forget what it's called but all the bar type things connecting the hub area behind the wheel are bent, front windshield needs to be replaced, door won't close properly, front bumper is buckled etc etc... It kinda sounds written off doesn't it?

MikxHayward 06-09-2013 08:37 PM

Sounds like a write off to me.

2013-JeepJK 06-09-2013 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by MikxHayward (Post 3581671)
Sounds like a write off to me.

Damn. I was worried about that. :sad2:

jadmt 06-09-2013 08:59 PM

I myself would be happy it is totaled.

cluelessJK 06-09-2013 09:37 PM

I'd hope it's totaled.... Then you won't have a carfax with an accident that will screw you later if you ever go to trade it in or sell it plus, you get a new jeep :) just my 2c.

2013-JeepJK 06-09-2013 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by cluelessJK (Post 3581698)
I'd hope it's totaled.... Then you won't have a carfax with an accident that will screw you later if you ever go to trade it in or sell it plus, you get a new jeep :) just my 2c.

True... Anyone in the know want to do a quick parts estimate for that list? Just curious...

Joecub 06-09-2013 10:12 PM

Got any photos?

2013-JeepJK 06-09-2013 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Joecub (Post 3581709)
Got any photos?

I have a bunch on a camera, i will upload them asap.

Joecub 06-09-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2013-JeepJK (Post 3581715)
I have a bunch on a camera, i will upload them asap.

It will depend on what your insurance company can salvage the wreak at auction that will determine it getting repaired or not. Not sure where you are how insurance works or how your laws work with buying damaged vehicles but here in Australia lets say your vehicle is insured for 40,000 and the insurance company can sell the wreak for say 10,000 then repairs have to be under 30,000 for them to repair it, anything over that and consider it written off

2013-JeepJK 06-09-2013 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Joecub (Post 3581719)
It will depend on what your insurance company can salvage the wreak at auction that will determine it getting repaired or not. Not sure where you are how insurance works or how your laws work with buying damaged vehicles but here in Australia lets say your vehicle is insured for 40,000 and the insurance company can sell the wreak for say 10,000 then repairs have to be under 30,000 for them to repair it, anything over that and consider it written off

From what i gather that's how it works here aswell.

AdvJeep 06-10-2013 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by 2013-JeepJK (Post 3581725)

From what i gather that's how it works here aswell.

Did you pay for the no questions asked replacement if you jeep is written off with icbc? If not they probably will write it off, if the repairs cost half of the vehicle cost that's what they usually do unfortunately. Sorry about the accident!

Whiskeymike 06-10-2013 05:09 AM

Why did your insurance company request you not speak with others? I find that very odd and I would think about what they are aiming for. If it was your lawyer and you were going to make a case of it, it would make sense. But not your insurance company.

otservice 06-10-2013 06:09 AM

Based on the damage I saw it'll be close to 50% of the vehicles value I'm guessing and it has possible frame damage which should write it off. It's a good thing it was the trailer & not the F350 though. Could've been worse, but it's just one of those situations on that road.

Hopefully they write it off, because that's a lot of damage to fix and you'll end up keeping it forever because you can't resell a wrecked JK up here for what they are worth. Not sure if you got the 3 year replacement value or not, but it's a good idea to if you haven't.

Nate

2013-JeepJK 06-10-2013 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskeymike (Post 3581817)
Why did your insurance company request you not speak with others? I find that very odd and I would think about what they are aiming for. If it was your lawyer and you were going to make a case of it, it would make sense. But not your insurance company.

Maybe my word choice was wrong, but yeah.

karls 06-10-2013 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AdvJeep (Post 3581795)
....If not they probably will write it off, if the repairs cost half of the vehicle cost that's what they usually do unfortunately. ....

I just went through a near 'total' with an 03 Rubicon and the cut-off isn't half with my company, Allstate has it closer to 70%. The value of the truck was $13,500 and at $9k they were teetering on the edge of fix or total. The details are what saved it from a 'total loss'.

Unless your company has specifically said 50%, I would go off of a higher value before you think they'll total it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

2013-JeepJK 06-10-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by AdvJeep (Post 3581795)
Did you pay for the no questions asked replacement if you jeep is written off with icbc? If not they probably will write it off, if the repairs cost half of the vehicle cost that's what they usually do unfortunately. Sorry about the accident!

Thanks. I guess we'll have to see but at this point with the amount of damage there is it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's written off...

scooby snacks 06-10-2013 05:26 PM

Guys, I moved this thread to JK Talk which is more appropriate for what is being discussed.

Thanks!!

Scooby

flyfsher 06-12-2013 02:58 PM

I have 2012 sahara JKU that owned for about a wee before I had an accident that resulted in a 9400 estimate for repair and that is what is getting done, a repair. My insurance company, Progressive, advised thatthe ewer the car the more damage t takes to toal it so nmycase i would be 70% to be totalled.

Didn't even have mine 10 days before the accident......still waiting to get it back.

2013-JeepJK 06-12-2013 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by flyfsher (Post 3584612)
I have 2012 sahara JKU that owned for about a wee before I had an accident that resulted in a 9400 estimate for repair and that is what is getting done, a repair. My insurance company, Progressive, advised thatthe ewer the car the more damage t takes to toal it so nmycase i would be 70% to be totalled.

Didn't even have mine 10 days before the accident......still waiting to get it back.

Yes, but you have an Unlimited (more expensive than my 2dr) and a Sahara (MUCH more expensive then my sport)

BKGM Jeepers 06-13-2013 02:54 PM

Can't commit if it's totaled without seeing some pictures.

A non-rubicon front end is under 600, and all the steering accessories are cheap. Body work isn't cheap and frame work is even more expensive. A windshield is less than 300 if you buy it, or less if it's through your insurance (what you pay, not the total price).

pwain 06-13-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by karls (Post 3582360)

I just went through a near 'total' with an 03 Rubicon and the cut-off isn't half with my company, Allstate has it closer to 70%. The value of the truck was $13,500 and at $9k they were teetering on the edge of fix or total. The details are what saved it from a 'total loss'.

Unless your company has specifically said 50%, I would go off of a higher value before you think they'll total it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

My thoughts are similar. I'm guessing they will try hard to not total it.

scooby snacks 06-13-2013 05:15 PM

Been there done that... 120 miles, 2 hours old. T-boned and flipped 3x's by an uninsured motorist on way home from dealership.