Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Pray for Sun, or Other Options?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pray for Sun, or Other Options?

Today for the first time I got all 4 doors off, took off the soft top & frame, and moved the mirrors. Bought a trail cover to cover up against rain when parked at work. Would like to keep it this way for the rest of the summer.

Is there any "quick cover" solution to protect against rain when I have to drive, or when I know we're in for a few days of rain? Do I just dodge raindrops and accept that I might get wet from time to time?
Old 06-15-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

invest in a BBT.

big blue tarp.

looks like a blue superman when driving.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a brown one, will that work? Guess I need some bungee cords too.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it a 2 or 4 door? you could always carry around the front freedom top panels.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi

There is a company that makes an emergency rain top. It is only designed for limited short drives at lower speeds. I think they only make it for the two-door though, and it wouldn't help you for the doors off part of the equation.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

That's why I just leave my softtop down, not off all the way. It's a real PITA when you want to put stuff in the back (unless it fits over the sides). You should see me trying to get a loaded full sized cooler up and over the darn thing .

I use the Mopar boot and it keeps it very neat and finished looking, not all droopy in the back like it is without the boot.

Believe it or not, my husband is a bit more of a wuss than I am when it comes to sun/wind/rain, so the softtop is always with in case he starts getting cranky.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:34 PM
JK Jedi

How about a Safari top ? but not the mesh one ........
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bonehead
How about a Safari top ? but not the mesh one ........
That would be my recomendation but even then you WILL get wet if it is more than a light shower. The Bestop emergency top is the only thing I know of that will give the rain protection while driving but you got to keep speeds under 30mph (I think it could be less). I am hoping that eventually bestop comes out with soft doors and a fastback top (or any simmilar one piece easy stow) as an option for those of us with hardtops only. Heck an option (without buying the OEM softtop parts) that seals the hard or better yet soft doors to a safari top would be okay.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OffTopic
That's why I just leave my softtop down, not off all the way. It's a real PITA when you want to put stuff in the back (unless it fits over the sides). You should see me trying to get a loaded full sized cooler up and over the darn thing .

I use the Mopar boot and it keeps it very neat and finished looking, not all droopy in the back like it is without the boot.

Believe it or not, my husband is a bit more of a wuss than I am when it comes to sun/wind/rain, so the softtop is always with in case he starts getting cranky.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, Thanks for the replies. Looks like I'll be asking for a bikini top or a soft-top boot for Christmas. Until then, I'll just be carefully watching the weather for when I have to drive, and maybe getting a little wet from time to time.

For sa long as I can, the 4 doors will stay off, which is getting quite a few looks on the road. I've only seen one ofther 4-doorless, and that was last summer.

Quick Reply: Pray for Sun, or Other Options?