JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Put this in your toolbox! (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/put-your-toolbox-194485/)

JeepPilot10 09-05-2011 04:38 PM

Put this in your toolbox!

Peanut butter! I know this has tried to raise it's head in other threads, but it deserves one of it's own. Waxed the Jeep the other day and must have got some on the black plastic. Warmed up a little peanut butter in the microwave, put it on and wiped it and the wax off just like that. I'm I pressed.

If that's out there what other simple need to know tricks are out there?!? Let's save money on the cleaning for the mods we want to do!

Owl 09-05-2011 04:49 PM

I have no personal or direct knowledge of this, but I've been told that if you need to get tree pitch/sap off your hands, or off your vehicle, use butter. I'll try this sometime.

ToolManTimTaylor 09-05-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 2514792)

Armor all on the frame rails and suspension components makes cleanup a breeze when you're done playing :thumbsup:

Yup I get razzed about my JK being stupid clean ... but it stays that way for a reason. Washdown after fun is a breeze! I douche the inner liners , steering componentry , frame etc.

yet not a drop on the tires as I really :gak: over that

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...2&d=1309146149

CajunJeeper 09-05-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
I douche

Lol!!!!!!!

BStelling 09-05-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by karls10jk (Post 2514792)
Don't put peanut butter on your fender flares, it discolors them. Yeah, it looks good for a day but after that it looks bad.

Really? I for one have never heard or even seen peanut butter discoloring fender flares. I've always used peanut butter on the fenders and have found that it actually lasts 3x as long as anything I've bought in the car detailing section.

Gypsy 09-05-2011 05:21 PM

Armor all is supposed to be a big no no. Says so in the owner's manual and the detail guy at my body shop threw it out of my jeep and gave me some of the stuff he uses.

CreepyJeeper 09-05-2011 05:43 PM

the peanut butter thing is interesting....:thumbsup:

JK08KATYTX 09-05-2011 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Gypsy
Armor all is supposed to be a big no no. Says so in the owner's manual and the detail guy at my body shop threw it out of my jeep and gave me some of the stuff he uses.

A no no for what??

brobbins67 09-05-2011 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by CreepyJeeper (Post 2514898)
the peanut butter thing is interesting....:thumbsup:

I'm thinking maybe peanut oil would be just as effective? Can't think of anything else in peanut butter that would really have this effect.

big c 09-05-2011 05:57 PM

I used peanut butter one time and yes it got the wax off but after a day or two it looked like shit cuz u could see where the peanut butter was

StuFarmer 09-05-2011 06:37 PM

I use Turtle Wax ICE. You can get it on any of the Black Plastic and it comes right off. No white residue at all. Makes life so easy to wax the Jeep again.

ylojelo 09-06-2011 01:25 PM

x2 turtle wax ice. The jeep can be hot, in the sun and it is still easy. Water beads up nicely.

Ive heard people using the tire shine crap as a coating for under the jeep. mud just slides off.

MikekiM 09-06-2011 01:30 PM

I am allergic to peanut butter.. a quarter of one will put me in a pine box..

:gak:

I'll stick to the 303 for stained fenders...

Red Wings 09-06-2011 01:35 PM

Carsystems refinish/restorer works way better than peanut butter and last months longer.

JeepPilot10 09-06-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MikekiM
I am allergic to peanut butter.. a quarter of one will put me in a pine box..

:gak:

I'll stick to the 303 for stained fenders...

Yeh, keep away from it then. I have heard good things about 303. I thought it was a protectant. Is it also a cleaner? Leary of Armor-All. Seems like the second you use it you have to keep it on all the time or the fade starts.

OC-JK 09-06-2011 03:58 PM

Vinlyex works wonders!

MikekiM 09-06-2011 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by JeepPilot10 (Post 2516539)
Yeh, keep away from it then. I have heard good things about 303. I thought it was a protectant. Is it also a cleaner? Leary of Armor-All. Seems like the second you use it you have to keep it on all the time or the fade starts.

I have a few options for the black plastic stuff..

303 Protectant is a good item that brings back the black and doesn't leave the plastic greasy or sticky. It doesn't last too long though and rain washes it away. I just washed the JK after a week of mud stuck on it and the plastic was stained an nasty looking. The 303 brought it back no problem.

Harley PolyGuard is one of the best I have used, but it is a bit shiny and needs to be wiped down before it dries, to matte it out. It then dries nicely with no sticky or greasy residue. The down-side it that it's hard to get these days.

My favorite is One Grande Exterior Rubber and Vinyl Protectant (ERV).. It will bring back the worst fade and stains. It isn't waterproof but it can last a few light showers. Dries matte and is completely dry to the touch.

Now, Armor All?? That is the devils work.. nastiest stuff I have ever used and I've used a ton. The original formula is greasy and attracts dust and debris like flies to fly paper and looks like an oil slick. Take a look at the paving under your JK after a rain. The AA just washes off. I think there is a new, high gloss version (like it needs to be glossier). I avoid this stuff like the proverbial plague.

The downside to all of these is that they need to be rubbed in to be effective and with all the deep crevices and hard-to-get-at spots like where the fenders meet the body, around and under the license plate, on the trim that is under the grill.. it's a real pain to do a decent job. I use an assortment of sponge applicators that work well enough, but I have been considering one of those sealants that are supposed to be a once-and-done product. Probably BS but it's worth a try.

I don't put any treatment on the tires.

I use Griot's under-carriage spray for the under side of the fenders and wheel wells.

Adam's Silicone spray is good under there too, but it's an aerosol and is pretty wasteful.

Paul R 09-06-2011 04:41 PM

The peanut butter works to remove wax, stains, and such from any black plastic. I have never had it discolor my flare, but if you do have that problem, followup the peanut butter with Vinylex. It is the best product I have found for the flares and the interior dash and such. It has a good UV protectant, is not greasy, and best of all, it dries a matte finish not glossy so it doesn't cause the dash to glare back at you. I Vinylex my flares and dash every 4th wash or every other month, whichever comes first. I had my Sahara for 3 years and the flares looked like new when I traded it in.

Do stay away from Armorall. The real reason is that the chemical in Armorall that cleans the plastic will remove the plastic's natural binder chemical (plasticizer) and break the chemical bonds in the plastics polychains. This will cause cracking and flaking after prolonged use. It also is greasy and dries to a high gloss, causing glare.

303 is very good also, but I prefer Vinylex for hard plastics. 303 seems to work better on soft stuff like your top.

ToolManTimTaylor 09-07-2011 06:42 AM

I agree and use 303 on the stuff you see. I do retract my Armorall usage statement from before and should have said "No touch" tire foam. .... kinda like asking to "Xerox" a "Kleenex" instead of copy a tissue

MikekiM 09-07-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor (Post 2517740)
I agree and use 303 on the stuff you see. I do retract my Armorall usage statement from before and should have said "No touch" tire foam. .... kinda like asking to "Xerox" a "Kleenex" instead of copy a tissue

I gave up on the no-touch spray on tire foam, but might revisit it given the massive amount of rubber-real-estate that needs to be covered.. The problem I have with it's post-spray needs.. Some of the product ends up running off and that, along with the excess that drips down, stains the pavement where the tire were sprayed. I ruined some beautiful driveway pavers with that stuff. And if you don't let it run off and dry down, it slings all over the sides of the vehicle... lose/lose in my book.

Since the post has taken a turn towards detailing, I encourage all to try Wurth Rubber Care Gel Stick to treat the seals for the Freedom top... Works wonders for keeping them moist and reducing leaks...