Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Axle Replacement/Repair

Old 12-07-2018, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Replacement/Repair

I've always prided myself in doing my own auto work, but only with the help of Youtube. I've done many repairs, my biggest being an upper intake manifold replacement on a Chevy, but wondering if this is over my head…

Got tagged in rear quarter panel going through intersection, hit by a red light runner. Jeep spun around 180 degrees. Insurance considers it totaled as the first estimate is 11K. Mechanic said frame looks good. Put a new rear axle on it and it should be drivable. I'll worry about cosmetics later. So my question…

Is this straight forward? Just buy a used rear axle and swap?

Thoughts?

Old 12-07-2018, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Replacing an axle is straight forward. Not sure what you'll do about the tub. It's likely pretty messed up and that's probably what puts it in the 'totaled' category.
The following users liked this post:
mattress67 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Replacing an axle is straight forward. Not sure what you'll do about the tub. It's likely pretty messed up and that's probably what puts it in the 'totaled' category.
Thanks for the reply,

Well, I was in the back seat just today, and all looks well there. So even if the "tub" is bent up a bit, the frame below looks straight. The mechanic did mention that there could be an issue lining up the new axle/suspension with the support above, so I'll have to take that risk if I decide on accepting the salvage vehicle. I'd opt for the full settlement, but I can't find any 2011 Mango Tango Unlimited for less than the low twenties. The full settlement is only 18K. Part of the reason for it being "totaled" is that the hard top has some cracks in it too, so that's toast.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If the frame is indeed straight then yes- I'd go new axle and get some full corners that go to the back of the rear doors. I've got a Mango as well so I get the pain of not being able to find another.

Side bar- I had an "OE quality" hood on my jeep after an accident years ago and I ended up replacing it with a junkyard hood because the color and fit was so much better than what the insurance provided.
mattress67 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

comp cut the sides and put 40's on it. Use the insureance money for some UD60's wheels and tires.
mattress67 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 01:01 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

my rear quarters had small denting/damage when i put corners on em, and it really made it trickier than just over nice flush sheetmetal. I can tell you quarter armor won't just go over that.....but, the hard top isn't bad and easily fixable, swapping an axle is easy, and tbh, probably still worth just having a body shop replace that quarter panel....THEN put armor over it. You can get color matched spray paint for cheap....like $20/can, and i'm not talking the 5oz mopar paint.....a full can of paint. I'd have body shop replace the quarter panel and not paint it, then bring it home, prime it, paint the part that would show through the armor, and slap some nice quarter panel armor on it.

Is the axle housing actually damaged, or is it just bent control arms or axle shaft flange?
mattress67 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Is the axle housing actually damaged, or is it just bent control arms or axle shaft flange?
Good question, don’t know yet. Because there was leakage from the axle, the estimate was based on a complete axle replacement so that sounds like housing to me. However until I start disassembly I won’t know for sure.

Thanks again for all the replies, keep em coming!
Old 12-08-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I wouldn't doubt at all that there was leakage as it's most likely that the axle shaft flange bent as it looks like the tire took a good hit....and the seal is at the end of the axle shaft You might really look at that. it could be as simple as a new axle shaft on that side (new seal and bearings). If that is the case, you could very well find a set of used takeoffs from someone that upgraded to chromoly shafts. Given the damage and where it is, it kind of seems they didn't hit you hard enough to damage the whole housing. you very well may have bent control arm though hitting you from the side like that.
mattress67 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 PM
JK Newbie

Yah, that'd be great if it were just the shaft. I'll keep my fingers crossed. As for diagrams, and such - what do people use? Or do most of you just start taking things apart, and keep notes?
Old 12-08-2018, 03:16 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Not sure what you're talking about in regards to diagrams. The rear end is pretty simple. you start tearing it down and it won't be hard to keep track off. Not even many bolts you can misplace. If you're on a stock suspension, what you might start with is finding a good place to measure from both on right and left sides, and see if your axle is still centered. Take a good look at the control arms on that drivers side and see if you can spot any damage. If the axle appears to be centered, and no damage to control arms, I'd remove that rear driver tire, remove the brakes, remove the nuts holding the shaft in and pull it out to inspect. That damage doesn't look bad to me.....if you get a nice check for it and can take it back as a salvaged title, i think you're in the catbird seat. Looks like that rear door escaped damage.

Maybe post up some pictures from the underside, or if you pull the wheel off snap some then too.
mattress67 (12-08-2018)

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Replacement/Repair