Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear Axle Replacement/Repair

Old 12-18-2018, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a follow up, for those who may have a similar ordeal.

I changed axle shaft (Nitro's) and rotors. Had trouble with a race bearing getting stuck on the troubled side, but managed to get out with a slide hammer. The new axle slid in okay, but nothing like the axle on the good size (on that side I was able to take out the racer bearing with my fingers and putting in the new axle was a breeze). Oh, and I had one nut I had to cut off as it just spun. Fun.

I changed the rotors cause there was visible damage on the troubled side caused by the bent flange and the tow company moving my jeep around.

The drive test…

Actually, pretty good at first. No issues. Drove straight. However, after a few loops around the block I heard a noise. I put back on blocks and traced the noise to where the drive shaft meets the back differential. There's a silver metal cap around the drive shaft where it meets the rear axle. It seems to be off kilter a bit and was rubbing against the differential housing. There is no leakage from that area, but I am a little concerned. I drove a bit more and the noise abated.

As I mentioned, I changed rotors but not brake pads despite knowing that one of the brake pads was a bit uneven. So now the new wear marks on the new rotor are not evenly distributed (drove less than 1/2 a mile), so I'll change the brake pads on both sides with fresh ones when I get back in town (out of town for the week).

My biggest concern is the following pic...

Notice the clearance between the upper control arm, tire and the frame. It is only about one inch on each side. On the passenger side, I’ve got about two inches of clearance between tire and control arm. The control arm looks fine, but clearly the axle is shifted to the right. See two following pics.

So I’ve been trying to understand what positions the axle. Initially I thought it was the track bar, and the original was bent but the new one went in without too much of an issue. Clearly it didn’t shift the axle back to the left as I hoped. The Jeep drives straight, and there is clearance between tire, frame and control arm. So what does position the axle and is there a way I can shift it to the left an inch or two, or does this really matter?

Finally, I do have an air bag light (haven't investigated yet), but everything else seems surprisingly okay, including the drivers side passenger door window!

Last edited by mattress67; 12-18-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: add pictures
Old 12-19-2018, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

You changed the track bar? The one is the second pictures has the same rust spots as the bent one in the first pics. Track bar is what centers the axle assemble under the Jeep.
The following users liked this post:
mattress67 (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point, yah, I changed it - the pics where the before pics, but nothing moved. Even the new track bar coincidentally lined up with the holes. After researching and talking to other members, yes, I now get it that the track bar is what centers the axle. Again, I currently have an inch of clearance on the left, and two inches on the right, so the best I could really hope for is to have 1 1/2 on both sides, but I'm not sure if it is worth my effort. I just don't like the way the control arm sits in that left bracket.

Last edited by mattress67; 12-19-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

1/2" is a big shift for an axle/TB....it's worth the 10 minutes it should take. Since it's pushed passenger side, that is 1/2" of clearance you'd be gaining between the pinion flange and the gas tank skid as well. Do take/upload some new pics after you do it.
The following users liked this post:
mattress67 (12-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Replacement/Repair