Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear tire carrier

Old 07-27-2017, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear tire carrier

So I am trying to figure out the weight limit of a stock rear tire carrier. I am about to purchase new wheels and tires and was trying to figure out if I could momentarily hold off on purchasing an over-sized tire carrier. I'll be running 34s
Old 07-27-2017, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

50lbs according to the early literature. Your profile is incomplete so it's tough to tell if you have the newer revision of the gate that is rated for more weight.

You can put it off but it isn't recommended. You'll find plenty of threads where people are doing it and "it's just fine" but the damage is happening right under their nose. Do it right, it is your vehicle.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
50lbs
?? really? because the stock tire and wheel are way heavier than 50 lb. Rubicon wheel/tire combo probably is like 75lb and I'd have to guess my Sahara wheels are even heavier if you were to put M/T or LT tires on them.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would just delete the rear tire and carrier, take the money that you would spend on a spare you will likely never use and install an on board air compressor and a good plug kit. Better visibility out the back and saves some weight. OBA is nice to have so you can air back up on the trails.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

I wouldn't trust that factory carrier for anything other than the factory spare myself. I agree with Dirtman about scrapping the spare all together and going with a clean look. It will save money AND eliminate weight. You'll probably never need it and it saves you from having to do 5-tire rotations. Money saved on a 5th wheel and tire combo pretty much covers onboard air as he suggests.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i remember right, the factory Rubicon wheel and tire weighed a little over 55 lbs. I think it was 35 for the tire and 20 for the wheel. Regardless, a 34" tire would put you over the margin of safety for the carrier and gradually pull the tailgate out of alignment.

This also assumes the center of mass remains in the same place across the width of the tire. If the CoM moves out an inch you can do some engineering math to determine the extra force it applies to the tailgate because it's now farther away.

Long story short, I wouldn't risk is unless you are really looking forward to replacing that tailgate in a few years.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Resharp and Dirtman nailed it: scrap the spare from the tailgate idea...

I ran a 35" MTR on my stock carrier for a year before I shelled out the money for the Genright...and guess what? Even my "heavier duty" 2015 tailgate is slightly warped. Good thing I took the weight off of it when I did. You can only tell when really paying attention...but imagine if that spare fell off when I was cruising down the highway? Could kill someone.

In hindsight I should've saved the $1k from the Genright. I've never needed the spare...and actually backed into a tree and crushed my corner in during my last wheeling trip. Probably wouldn't have let the tree sneak up on me if I could see behind me...
Old 07-30-2017, 10:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not a big fan of going without a spare, but I suppose it depends on what the Jeep is used for. Big Bend Ranch State Park is well-known for tearing up tires, and they recommend (somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but somewhat seriously) carrying two. I've been on other trips where I've seen multiple tire failures (above the Arctic Circle). At the very least I'd say if one goes without a spare, carry better than one of those cheap tire repair kits. This one provides extra repair options, but you'll also need some tire irons to use them. It isn't cheap, but that reflects on both the contents and the quality of the parts and tools ...

https://www.extremeoutback.com/produ...3+001-009.html

8:29 if not forwarded automatically.

https://youtu.be/V1h3vbMyXmM?list=PLNmyT4ZqfdQmBSNAXSfR8OG9jIeB94XTz&t=509
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Your correct, the trail should dictate. The op is new to jeeps and will be pounding the pavement 99% of the time and a 34" tire will easily fit in the cargo area if he is going to hit some gnarly trails.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with both....remove the tire for everyday driving so it's not hanging and vibrating on the tailgate everyday but when you hit the trail put it back on. Sidewall tears can't be fixed by a plug kit(technically...lol) better to be safe than sorry out on the trail in the middle of nowhere.
Doing it that way may prolong your need to get a carrier.

Quick Reply: Rear tire carrier