Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rear tire carrier

Old 08-01-2017, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk

While I don't know what size tires were on these, I've seen the same failure on a brand new Rubicon with stock tires. Broken jk tire carrier pulls up interesting results on Google.
It does. And a lot of them stem from people backing into things.

You're right, though. They're not indestructible. And yeah, it's silly that the stock wheel and tire exceed the maximum weight of the gate, but good bump stops make a huge difference in the interim.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would just delete the rear tire and carrier, take the money that you would spend on a spare you will likely never use and install an on board air compressor and a good plug kit. Better visibility out the back and saves some weight. OBA is nice to have so you can air back up on the trails.
I agree 100%. I'm pushing 50 and have never needed a spare in my life. Yes I understand that certain circumstances common sense would dictate you carry a spare but I have not ever found myself in those circumstances yet so I'm going off my own anecdotal evidence. I have never even needed to patch a tire but the kit and compressor are waiting if I do. In addition to the patch kit and double ARB under the seat I also carry the Kolby valve stems so I think I'm set for most normal situations. I would carry a spare if I was planning a longer expedition type trip where I would be relying 100% on myself. To each their own proceed at your own risk.

Last edited by rsbmg; 08-01-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
I agree 100%. I'm pushing 50 and have never needed a spare in my life.
I've been driving nearly 30 years and I have had to use my spare one time to get home from work, once my wife ran over a brown paper bag on the road that contained a brick and it bent the wheel and knocked the tire off the rim, had to use a spare to get the car home then. I've plugged and filled tires out of emergency necessity out on the road a half dozen times. I'd have to say I've needed a spare more or to otherwise fix a flat far more often than I've needed, say, car insurance, air bags, or my seat belt. Definitely more than any Texan would need a recovery strap, a winch or 4WD. And probably at least as often as I've needed jumper cables. I get it, a spare on a JK weighs up to 100 lb or more so it's a big old fat inconvenience but it's hardly a waste to carry one. Eventually you'll need it. And just like the winch or recovery gear, your chances of needing it go up probably 100x if you drive off road.

BTW I also carry a plug kit and a big air compressor at all times. And a jump pack, and a recovery strap. Why the heck not? that one time you need it, you'll be sorry you didn't have it.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To spare or not to spare is largely going to be based on your own experiences. It's like the D30/37's argument. You will have 50 guys come in and say I have been running my D30 on 37's on the hardest trails in the world and never had a problem then 5 dudes pop in and say their D30 grenaded as soon as they put it in gear on 33's. As I said to each their own. I like the look and the weight savings. It's a risk I'm willing to take knowing it could bite me in the ass one day.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbmg
To spare or not to spare is largely going to be based on your own experiences. ... It's a risk I'm willing to take knowing it could bite me in the ass one day.
Oh absolutely agree. I think the same is true for pretty much any of the "capabilities" of the Jeep in general. Odds are, as an ordinary driver, you are not going to need any of: 10"+ ground clearance, long suspension travel, 4WD, locking diff or BLD, sway bar disconnects, ABS, traction control, recovery hooks, etc. along with the spare tire. But we all have chosen Jeeps for a reason, and if you are among the tiny percentage of Jeep owners for whom the reason is not "because it makes me look and feel tough and cool" then carrying a spare may be a sensible precaution, along with all of the other benefits of the Jeep.

I mean, I kind of like having a vehicle that I know will get me pretty much anywhere I will ever need to go under any conditions I will encounter. The risk of having a flat that leaves me stranded sort of undermines that. But if your Jeep is an off-road toy then I can see how being stranded is not much more than an inconvenience. You hitch a ride back to some base station from a friend or use their spare, put the Jeep back on the trailer and take it home.

Horses for courses I suppose. I can definitely understand the "less weight" argument and I'm tempted to do that myself.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best $500 upgrade yet. Took about an hour taking the stock bumper off, replacing with this one. Very well made.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3892.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	673998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3893.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	673999

Quick Reply: Rear tire carrier