Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Recon Jeep inspection help

Old 10-15-2018, 10:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon Jeep inspection help

im posting on here and hoping someone can help me out. I just got stationed in Hawaii and on Oahu they require a recon inspection. I have a 2014 JK 4 door with a 2.5 lift and 35s. I got aftermarket headlights tail lights and grill and they told me to take that off and put flares and mud flaps on. My question is can I keep my Texas registration and not worry about this or do I have to get it still? I don’t have none of the stock parts to put back on. Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure that if you're in HI on orders as active duty military you're not required to register your vehicle. I'm now in CA but maintained my VA residency and kept my vehicle registered in VA. All I did was notify the DMV that my mailing address had changed to my CA address but maintained my residency at my VA address (used a family members). I get to avoid smog and all the CA vehicle requirements and I just go online to pay my yearly vehicle tax and registration fees and they send me my updated registration. But when I return to VA I will need to get a vehicle inspection ASAP.

EDIT:
https://www.dmv.org/hi-hawaii/military-drivers/

Just did some google magic... If the link I posted is correct it looks like even if you maintained TX registration HI will require their safety inspection. Sorry if my previous post led you on.

Last edited by SporticonJKU; 10-26-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Recon Jeep inspection help