Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

This reminds me, I actually am listing to the right. Thoughts?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Default This reminds me, I actually am listing to the right. Thoughts?

I have a 2012 2 door rubicon on a RK ~3.5" long arm with upgraded steering, etc. I was looking at the jeep while standing in the garage the other day and it looked like it was leaning to the passenger side. The driveway is reasonably level left to right so I got out a tape measure. Sure enough, and this has been confirmed a few times since, every point I measure on the passenger side is 1/2" lower than the driver side. It's pretty equally sagged front to back. The only thing that makes sense to me are springs, since they dictate the ride height. I find it odd that the passenger side front and rear would both sag the same amount though. I checked and the springs are clocked properly, and the rear spring perches are even and correctly installed as far as I can tell. Tire pressure and heights are equal. The axles seem to be level. I know the gas tank is on that side, but everyone has one of those and this doesn't seem to be a prevalent issue. I had someone drive the jeep while I followed behind and the lean is constant. My next step is to yank the springs and measure them but I haven't gotten around to it. Which is why I haven't asked here yet but the guy who lifted just the rear of his jeep inspired me. Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah... lots of jeeps do this.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-right-327001/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-right-257974/

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...inally-269251/
Old 07-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Huh! Well at least I'm not crazy. Thank you for the insight
Old 07-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

On the passenger side you've also got your battery and potentially over 50% of the spare tire weight. Still no good reason for the jeep to be sitting 1/2" lower though.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
On the passenger side you've also got your battery and potentially over 50% of the spare tire weight. Still no good reason for the jeep to be sitting 1/2" lower though.
My stock JK is equal weight on each side, even though the battery is on the right side.
I have to ask, though, why do you say potentially over 50% of the spare tire weight would be on the passenger's side? With the tail gate closed, the spare is mounted in the center.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Actually, the jeep is pretty well balanced out. Below are the weight specs for my rig using a 4-point scale (one under each tire). This is with 3/4 of a tank of fuel and a JKU.

Driver Front - 1436
Passenger Front - 1411

Driver Rear - 1225
Passenger Rear - 1215

Total weight of the rig is 5287 lbs.

EDIT - This is with an L96/6L80E installed
Old 07-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I have to ask, though, why do you say potentially over 50% of the spare tire weight would be on the passenger's side? With the tail gate closed, the spare is mounted in the center.
Correct, it is mounted in the center but the weight rides on the hinges. Open the gate and the jeep dips to the right rear. Am I off on that? I've not checked mine since changing coils.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Correct, it is mounted in the center but the weight rides on the hinges. Open the gate and the jeep dips to the right rear. Am I off on that? I've not checked mine since changing coils.
Yes, with the gate open the JK will dip a little to the right rear. However, when the gate is closed, which is the case when people are looking at their JKs leaning to the passenger's side, the total weight of the tire is centered, irrespective of the gate's attachment point.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Wish I had written down the individual weights when I had mine on the scales (4 - tire sheriffs commercial enforcement scales) we were in a hurry and I only got the total weight. My aftermarket bumper tire carrier supports all the weight fully on the passenger side. It is designed for more weight, and therefore you can look at the latch and see that it is fully suspended, only holding itself closed, not actually supporting the tire.

Even still she leaned to the passenger on the stock springs, and still when I went to 4-door springs, and even still on my Teraflex 2.5.

Think I will add an extra spacer in the back of the passenger side when I upgrade to different springs soon.

Last edited by tjkamp; 07-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Common complaint, nothing to worry about.

Mine has done it since new. I have had 3 lifts on it and they all sat lower on the right.

Quick Reply: This reminds me, I actually am listing to the right. Thoughts?