Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Removing soft top windows when you're not home?

Old 06-13-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing soft top windows when you're not home?

So, I'm at work and it's real nice out. Thinking about taking the top down for the ride home but the side and rear windows are still in.. if I unzip them will they be safe just stashed in the trunk area? I don't want a gust of wind to pick up a window and toss in on the highway :(

in an unlimited could I fit them between the rear seat & seatback if I fold them down, or will the windows be too big? I don't want em to get creased or anything...
Old 06-13-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by necros
So, I'm at work and it's real nice out. Thinking about taking the top down for the ride home but the side and rear windows are still in.. if I unzip them will they be safe just stashed in the trunk area? I don't want a gust of wind to pick up a window and toss in on the highway :(

in an unlimited could I fit them between the rear seat & seatback if I fold them down, or will the windows be too big? I don't want em to get creased or anything...
Until I make my own storage container for my windows (going to do what someone else did with a PVC tube and paint it black.maybe this weekend) I usually unzip the rear window and just let it hang down in the trunk leaving the bracket attached...the side windows I just lay them flat in the trunk on top of each other with a towel between them (so the windows do not stick to each other.) if you don't have a towel...you can grab a bunch of paper towels from the bathroom before you leave work...(I wouldn't use news paper in fear that the ink could bleed)

When I put them in the trunk I do not put them all the way back against the seat I leave them closer to the tailgate. With the rear window hanging over it.

Or you could just take each window roll it (without creasing) loosely and put one behind the drivers seat upright and the other behind the passengers seat.

Hope this helps...enjoy the ride home and the nice sunny weather this weekend.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

i do this all the time.... just leave the two sides window rolled and put on the back trunk, then i take the rear window along with the railing on the bottom, and put that on the back seat. It won't go anywhere...unless of course, somebody steals it
Old 06-14-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive the interstate all the time with my back windows laid out flat and loose on the rear compartment floor, rear seat up or down it doesn't matter. I'm not anal about scuffs and rubs on the windows, I bought the Jeep to use.

Quick Reply: Removing soft top windows when you're not home?