Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

"Ride" quality with lift and tires???

Old 09-30-2014, 01:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Do the chalk test, but you'll likely confirm that around 30 PSI is what you need. That will help some.

Whether a kit is "complete" or not depends on the definition of "complete". That is, if the vehicle is used entirely on paved roads, then you can get away with a taller lift with fewer, and less expensive parts. That is the approach that most lift manufacturers take. After that it's up to the Jeep owner to add more (or better) components that are needed. Some are needed immediately, some can wait. Cam bolts address the change in caster, making the steering feel better after a lift. However, they are not really off-road suitable. I wouldn't be so harsh as to say they identify a "cheap" lift, since many lift manufacturers provide nothing to address caster change. But, they are really more suitable for paved road use only. Driveshafts are another example. Put enough lift on and you will need new ones sooner rather than later. Doing something about the rear axle coil springs is another. Keep an eye on your rear springs and see if they contact the trackbar--probably on the passenger side. If so, the proper answer is to cut off the perches and weld them back up on top of the axle (as the Jeep was lifted, the axle rotated around, pointing them slightly off of vertical towards the back of the Jeep, which causes the springs to bow backwards).

BTW, in general this is why many on this forum recommend going with the minimum lift for the tire size you choose. That is, a 2.5" lift will accommodate 35" tires, and it has less need for more parts than a taller lift. It is easier to set up because of that. It provides a lower center of gravity. The only real loss is a slight decrease in approach and departure angles. Contrary to what most pick-up truck drivers think, lifts do not provide clearance over obstacles. Larger tires do. So only install as much lift as needed to accommodate those tires, and save money and modification hassles while you're at it. Did those nice folks at 4WP explain all of that to you? I know it's too late for you to do anything, but at least you'll be in a better position to help others. Here's some great info from Dirtman on this subject ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Hell of a post sir ... Well done THUMBSUP

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-30-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Freak

That is one hell of a lift post, and i agree with it 100%. Nice write up sir!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JK717
Ouch……play nice with the newbs, we have feelings too! I did do my research by the way BUT like everything out there, everyone says that theirs is the best and I can chase my tail for weeks deciding. Everyone seems to have a different opinion no matter what the sport or hobby so I tried to do my best. Trust me, spending the time and money, I'd rather it be right so went with what I thought was it.

So, are you telling me that the Rubicon Express kit is junk along with the Pro Comp MT2 Extremes? Or do you think it's the way they set it up? Thanks in advance for the helpful feedback of course.
Sorry but I am rather direct and speak my mind. If you had actually done research for the JK the Rubicon Express would not be on your jeep. It had a good following on the TJ and older models but their poor quality joints and suspect geometry put them into bankruptcy a few years back when they were bought by the big 4wd parts store. They push this lift and tell you how good it is because they own it. They take short cuts to keep the cost down like the cam bolts which may work alright for a car but on an lifted offroad vehicle they are a poor way to adjust the caster. Of course this is covered in the stickies at the top of the modified section.

Its been said that tire pressure will help you out in ride quality. Coils, shocks, raised track bars and control arm drop brackets all can have an affect on ride quality in the jeep.
It generally comes down to your budget and the desire for height. Most will go cheap to acheive the height because they for some reason think a lift gives you more capability when all it does is screw up your geometry when using most of the bolt on kits out there.

Good luck on your build
Old 09-30-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Sorry but I am rather direct and speak my mind. If you had actually done research for the JK the Rubicon Express would not be on your jeep. It had a good following on the TJ and older models but their poor quality joints and suspect geometry put them into bankruptcy a few years back when they were bought by the big 4wd parts store. They push this lift and tell you how good it is because they own it. They take short cuts to keep the cost down like the cam bolts which may work alright for a car but on an lifted offroad vehicle they are a poor way to adjust the caster. Of course this is covered in the stickies at the top of the modified section. Its been said that tire pressure will help you out in ride quality. Coils, shocks, raised track bars and control arm drop brackets all can have an affect on ride quality in the jeep. It generally comes down to your budget and the desire for height. Most will go cheap to acheive the height because they for some reason think a lift gives you more capability when all it does is screw up your geometry when using most of the bolt on kits out there. Good luck on your build
very well put. BTW, ever get tired of the same old discussion? I take a break from time to time as I just can't believe how many times this inquiry has been made and few seem to not be able to find the info.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It does get old, thats why I wrote "my thoughts on lifts", but unfortianally people don't know how to use forums, phrase search requests, or think they have some special unique request. I would say the frequency of lift questions also make me so blunt in my responses.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does get old, thats why I wrote "my thoughts on lifts", but unfortianally people don't know how to use forums, phrase search requests, or think they have some special unique request. I would say the frequency of lift questions also make me so blunt in my responses.
I appreciate the bluntness. I'm am the same way. And, I'm arrogant enough to say I'm not here to coddle. That's what mommas are for.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

You can lead a horse to water but can't force him to drink it

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 09-30-2014, 08:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JK717
... My question is the ride quality after this was done…..It has a little bit of a hobble (can be felt in the steering wheel), depending on the speed. On the highway I can feel a little bit of a hobble/vibration also. It's not terribly bad but I was just not sure if this is to be expected and "normal" with the lift and tires. ...
Just a random thought that I don't see as anyone has asked: You might check with 4WP and see if they loosened all eight control arms and the trackbars, and then waited until the Jeep was under its full weight to tighten all of these components to specified torque. This is very important and can cause a squirelly feeling suspension. In fact, to be honest, you really should just check this out yourself--it's the only way to be certain that your lift was installed correctly. Sadly, sometimes shops are pressed for time, and the shortcut of not loosening twenty very tight nuts and bolts, then having to crawl under the vehicle while it's on the ground and use a torque wrench to get them all back to specified values, is just too tempting.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Do the chalk test, but you'll likely confirm that around 30 PSI is what you need. That will help some.

Whether a kit is "complete" or not depends on the definition of "complete". That is, if the vehicle is used entirely on paved roads, then you can get away with a taller lift with fewer, and less expensive parts. That is the approach that most lift manufacturers take. After that it's up to the Jeep owner to add more (or better) components that are needed. Some are needed immediately, some can wait. Cam bolts address the change in caster, making the steering feel better after a lift. However, they are not really off-road suitable. I wouldn't be so harsh as to say they identify a "cheap" lift, since many lift manufacturers provide nothing to address caster change. But, they are really more suitable for paved road use only. Driveshafts are another example. Put enough lift on and you will need new ones sooner rather than later. Doing something about the rear axle coil springs is another. Keep an eye on your rear springs and see if they contact the trackbar--probably on the passenger side. If so, the proper answer is to cut off the perches and weld them back up on top of the axle (as the Jeep was lifted, the axle rotated around, pointing them slightly off of vertical towards the back of the Jeep, which causes the springs to bow backwards).

BTW, in general this is why many on this forum recommend going with the minimum lift for the tire size you choose. That is, a 2.5" lift will accommodate 35" tires, and it has less need for more parts than a taller lift. It is easier to set up because of that. It provides a lower center of gravity. The only real loss is a slight decrease in approach and departure angles. Contrary to what most pick-up truck drivers think, lifts do not provide clearance over obstacles. Larger tires do. So only install as much lift as needed to accommodate those tires, and save money and modification hassles while you're at it. Did those nice folks at 4WP explain all of that to you? I know it's too late for you to do anything, but at least you'll be in a better position to help others. Here's some great info from Dirtman on this subject ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Wow, thanks for taking the time to explain all that! Truly helpful! I went into this build with more on-road than off road in mind. It'll be my daily driver and some trails/offroad on the side. So I wasn't looking to put a whole lot of money into it at first, knowing that I could upgrade as I went. Of course I want it done right either way so all the info is greatly appreciated. I'm taking it in tomorrow to have them check it out. They said they'll recheck the torque and everything so we'll see what comes out of it. I'd hope they torqued on the ground (as you mentioned in your last post) BUT unfortunately I'd have to agree and say the possibility is they didn't!?!? I'm also going to look into doing the "chalk test" so I can set the tires appropriately. It would be nice if this is causing the problem……It's not shimmering crazy, just noticeable at certain speeds BUT definitely want it right, not half &%$.

Thanks again for all your help!

Quick Reply: "Ride" quality with lift and tires???