Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rust starting on 2018 JKU with 300 miles

Old 06-26-2018, 04:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust starting on 2018 JKU with 300 miles

I知 trying to get an idea of what I知 dealing with here. We bought our first Jeep (and also our first new vehicle) two days ago. I noticed underneath there is some rust beginning to form on the bottom of the front and rear differentials, axle tubes, shocks and even a couple small spots starting on the frame. Is this normal on new Jeeps? I would never have expected to see this on any brand new vehicle. This is not going to be a trail vehicle, but rather a daily driver for my wife and we plan to keep it for a long long time. I致e called the dealership and they want to have a look, take some photos and send them in to Chrysler. Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer? I attached a picture of the front diff that is representative of the rear diff as well. The rust spots on the frame and shocks are not as big.

Old 06-26-2018, 04:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had planned on either applying Fluid Film or having Krown spray it, but now that I know it already has rust I壇 like to have it taken care of before any coatings are applied.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's "normal" for these vehicles. Chrysler gave us a terrible finish. Wait til you see your front driveshaft in 30 days. I did like everyone else- clean it up and paint it.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:51 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

I also use Ospho for regular rust maintenance. Just brush some on once in a while and you're good. I have a buddy who uses a spray bottle of WD40 regularly. I used to wire brush and paint after every trip out on the trail but it's too time consuming to keep up that way

Quick Reply: Rust starting on 2018 JKU with 300 miles