JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Talk (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/)
-   -   Short People - 6 Speed Tranny (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/short-people-6-speed-tranny-6248/)

crusher 04-11-2007 04:56 AM

Short People - 6 Speed Tranny

I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble i am having. I'm a short guy, (5"5') and i cant seem to find a position that is really comfortable for sitting. If i sit where i can easily depress the clutch to the ground, i feel like i'm much too close. If i sit back where I would normally sit for gas and brake operation only, i am really stretching to push the clutch all the way in. It seems to be really messing up my lower back too. Any thoughts?

skibum 04-11-2007 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by crusher (Post 62010)
I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble i am having. I'm a short guy, (5"5') and i cant seem to find a position that is really comfortable for sitting. If i sit where i can easily depress the clutch to the ground, i feel like i'm much too close. If i sit back where I would normally sit for gas and brake operation only, i am really stretching to push the clutch all the way in. It seems to be really messing up my lower back too. Any thoughts?

Exactly the reason the wife unit and I went with an auto. I have a variety of titanium hardware holding my back together and she is your height. When we test drove the 6-speed, she had to move the seat all the way forward in order to depress the clutch. The steering wheel then left an indentation in her, ah, "girls" that was unattractive. :D Short (no pun intended) of swapping in a slushbox, I can't think of any good solution to the problem. Wait.....how about having a good fab shop alter your clutch pedal to pull it closer? Just a thought.

Major Ho 04-11-2007 05:59 AM

Im 5'7". and your right to be in completely comfortable position clutch all the way down without my leg being completely outstretched, like Im standing on my tip toes, results in my chest being uncomfortably close to the steering wheel. I feel like grandma or those little asian ladys who basically hug their steering wheel to drive.
So best position so far is the seat reclined just enough so I dont feel like Im moving in for second base with the wheel combined with the seat far enough back Im not straining for clutch. Although Ive been told its a tad on the "gangster lean" side of reclining.
Im certain its because the pedals drop straight down instead of a slightly up and foward angle like other vehicles. Havent had any back issues but I am still pretty young

Mark Doiron 04-11-2007 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by crusher (Post 62010)
I'm wondering if anyone else is having the same trouble i am having.

I'm 5'-8" and I'm not experiencing that problem. But, I can see that anyone much shorter than me would--I'm right at the limit of my comfort zone for how close the seat is to the steering wheel such that I can properly depress the clutch pedal.

Edit--Grammatical correction.

cablerep79 04-11-2007 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by skibum (Post 62033)
The steering wheel then left an indentation in her, ah, "girls" that was unattractive. :D

:worthless:

blacklock 04-11-2007 07:45 AM

I noticed this on my test drive.. I thought it was just me and that I would find comfortable postion after purchased one.

crusher 04-11-2007 08:12 AM

well right now i'm working a thermacare heat wrap, to see if i can solve my back problem. I did find that if i keep the seat forward and the back reclined, i can reach without feeling too close to the wheel. I think i'll consider getting something fabbed up to bring the clutch in closer.

skibum 04-11-2007 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by cablerep79 (Post 62083)
:worthless:

I'll ask........but I wouldn't count on it. :yup:

foofighter 04-11-2007 09:15 AM

that was one thing that i noticed as well w/ the clutch the travel on them is LOOOONG

Torrin 04-11-2007 09:56 AM

My wife does not like driving the Jeep due to her sitting right next to the steering wheel. She is 5'3". I am 6' and it is perfect for me, plus, I don't want her driving MY jeep! ;)