Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I tell my car insurance about my supercharger?

Old 03-24-2018, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Should I tell my car insurance about my supercharger?

I just recently installed a Procharger Supercharger on my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and I was wanting some advice on if I should tell my car insurance company about my performance upgrade. I have State Farm insurance for anyone who wants to know. I have receipts for all my mods.

Last edited by ginty777; 03-24-2018 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added extra information
Old 03-24-2018, 09:28 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ginty777
I just recently installed a Procharger Supercharger on my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and I was wanting some advice on if I should tell my car insurance company about my performance upgrade. I have State Farm insurance for anyone who wants to know. I have receipts for all my mods.
What is your concern?
Old 03-24-2018, 11:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
What is your concern?
My concern is either they will increase my premium dramatically, or drop my vehicle insurance.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:43 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

The safe answer is to read your particular policy and see if it says anything about prohibiting certain modifications or notifying them. How do you like the procharger? Install it yourself?
Old 03-25-2018, 04:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ginty777
My concern is either they will increase my premium dramatically, or drop my vehicle insurance.
Concerned at all about having coverage in case you get in to a front end collision? The increase in premium would probably be in the form of a modification rider. Most policies aren't going to cover a mod of that expense without some additional rider. If you're not concerned about having the cost of that mod covered in an accident, no reason to tell em. I couldn't see them dropping you for that.
The following users liked this post:
ginty777 (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
The safe answer is to read your particular policy and see if it says anything about prohibiting certain modifications or notifying them. How do you like the procharger? Install it yourself?
I will do that! I love the Procharger! I believe that the Procharger is a little better than a RIPP because you get a choice of straight cut gears which are the loud gears, or the helical gears which are a lot quieter. You also get the choice of satin finish, black, or polished on the supercharger and brackets. I got the helical gears which makes a nice light whistle noise but it is not obnoxious and I got the satin finish which is basically a raw finish. Also Procharger has been doing Superchargers for over 20 years for many different hot rods and drag cars, so they know what they are doing. Plus, I had some issues (totally my fault) that they helped me work out over e-mail. The install was fairly straight forward, but if you are ever interested, it is great to have a buddy help you. I had my dad help me which was a great father/son bonding time. I installed the bigger fuel injectors and new spark plugs on a Monday, and on a Tuesday, my dad and I started on the assembly of the supercharger around 8:30 in the morning, and got done around 10:30 at night. We took our time to make sure everything was installed correctly. I bought the supercharger from www.treperformance.com, and they were great too! They called me up to make sure I ordered everything right and got everything that I wanted before they put in the order to Procharger.
I love the performance that I get because under 3000 RPM's you are using just the engine which gives you better fuel mileage, but above 3000 RPM's you get a wild beast!
If you have any questions just let me know!
The following users liked this post:
Mr.T (03-25-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Procharger makes a great product. A friend of mine was very involved with them in development of some of their products (mostly for LS engines). The key to a good, long-lasting install that won't throw belts, is the strength of the bracket and making sure everything lines up perfectly. Get those 2 things right and
Old 03-26-2018, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Yes! If your carrier allows it, it's better safe than sorry in case of an accident!

Quick Reply: Should I tell my car insurance about my supercharger?