Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I wait for the 2018 model or buy a 2017?

Old 12-07-2017, 01:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jl is better in 8speed Auto
wait for it JL dont buy JK.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The JL is awesome, but not awesome enough to go into such debt over. Consider how much interest you'll pay on that loan, plus depreciation, and you're looking at financial figures that imo are nuts. Jeeps are in Land Rover territory now. But if you can swing it, go for it I guess.

Actually, a newer used Jk is pretty costly too. How are people affording newer Jeeps these days sheesh?!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd get an early 3.6, and put the difference in a Roth IRA. You'll actually MAKE money with your purchase that way.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Now that all the deets about the JL are out, I can see a lot of people waiting for it. I think it's more appealing to the average consumer that is looking for refinements and such, but if looking for something to modify and off road, I'd still take a JK. I'd imagine it's going to take some time for all the mods to catch up with the JL.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
The difference between the JK and TJ was basically all safety. The JK is wider, has better highway manners, has a longer wheelbase but around the same length (JKU obviously a little longer than the LJ)

The JK and JL will probably be produced at the same time for a while in the 2018 model year, and I personally don't expect to see a huge change between the models. The big changes are going to be in the form of aerodynamics and fuel efficiency. I doubt capability will change much if at all between these two jeeps. It sounds like the JL will get a new style of Dana44 but it won't be much different.

As far as modding the big rumour was that the front bumper mounts would stay the same, I doubt that will be true but if it was it will make moving to a JL a lot easier.
I thought there was more to the JK redesign? Versus the TJ, the JK has a better approach and departure angle (its inches shorter than a TJ), all trim levels including the base model can retrofit 32's wo lift or come with 32's, thanks to stronger axles and greater clearance, first time for a V6 since the 1960's, greater articulation and suspension travel, and e-lockers on the Rube, more standard armor, longer control arms for smoother ride, more room inside (bigger tub), and a lot of other standard equipment that were options on the TJ? But I agree, the JL will be an incremental change, like the incremental JK change.

I'm one of those folk that likes to have the new body style in the first or second year, because that's the only years its the "new" model. And the previous becomes the "old" model. Jeep is less sensitive though. Driving the previous model such as a TJ right now, doesn't carry the same discount as with cars and trucks. Its win-win imo. I'm still going to look very hard at the JL. The only thing that will keep me from trading will be ridiculous sticker price, or unattractive colors.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

i agree to wait to get the new model bugs out
but that top comes off real easy watching it on utube
Old 12-11-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy a jeep like it's a something you'll keep for the rest of your life. If I were in the market I'd at least wait to get a test drive of the new model. Take your time and don't jump into anything you'll wish you hadn't.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you drive an automatic, I would think the new transmission is reason enough to wait for the JL.

OTOH the aftermarket for parts and accessories is going to take a while to catch up with the JL, at least to the extent that parts and accessories from the JK don't fit, so be aware of that. More limited selection may drive higher prices.

In either case owning the JL is going to be slightly more expensive but JKUs have shown to hold their value unreasonably well which basically means buying used doesn't really benefit you much if at all. A JK, even a 1-2 year old one, won't be appreciably cheaper than a new JL, and may even be more expensive if the seller has installed "upgrades" that they expect to be compensated for when they sell it.

I would ordinarily be worried about a new vehicle having "bugs" but in this case the new engine choice (turbo 4 cyl) and the transmission are known quantities from other vehicles. I would say that a more refined electronically-controlled transmission is certainly going to be different to maintain and repair than the old one, and especially for the typical change-averse Jeep owner, a turbo 4-cylinder is going to be a tough pill to swallow. IMHO the aluminum body panels are an awesome idea and I will be trying to figure out how to retrofit these onto my own JK for weight reduction and corrosion resistance. But they will be more difficult for typical body shops to repair, and it'll be harder to find experienced body workers who can repair (weld, dents, etc.) aluminum.

If the turbo-4 looks like it gets 20+mpg routinely in mixed use with no downsides and the sloped windshield doesn't look awfully funny, I'll probably seriously consider trading my JKU in on a new JL even though my Jeep is only 2 years old, mostly because due to the insane resale value I can basically get every penny I paid for my Jeep back and wind up with a brand new vehicle at virtually no additional cost besides sales tax. I'm not afraid of turbos or alloy body panels. I'm more afraid of owning a Jeep without a bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By 2020, the aftermarket goodies would have definitely be ready for the 3.0 ecodiesel Jeep and I can't imagine how much that is going to cost.

I love my JK and love the JL even more but am I ready to take a huge loss to jump on the new ship?... hard to say.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by numbah1
I love my JK and love the JL even more but am I ready to take a huge loss to jump on the new ship?... hard to say.
How would you take a huge loss? Certainly not in the TX automotive economy, where Wranglers essentially don't depreciate. This is the really rare instance where it costs less than $1k/year to own a moderately-driven, mostly-stock, unabused Wrangler. Not really a huge loss. Now if you'd bought a Liberty and want to turn around and buy a JL...

Quick Reply: Should I wait for the 2018 model or buy a 2017?