Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Side Marker Light Mod gone awry? Or something else?

Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side Marker Light Mod gone awry? Or something else?

Hey guys,

I got the check engine light(I hate that generic light!). Then while driving back to base(Navy) to park it until I can figure something out for it, my fuel gage went to empty, then the low fuel light came on, then a few seconds later the fuel gage went back to normal and the low fuel light went out.

Hmm....this led me to believe something electrical is awry!

Now, I did two things this past weekend that may have caused this?? I haven't been to a trail in a long time(couple of months), so it shouldn't be anything trail-related.

1st Thing: I did the side marker light mod shown in this thread:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/marker-light-mod-20860/

Now, I did the mod exactly as described in the thread there. No deviation....and it doesn't look like anyone else reported a problem. The side markers flash perfectly just as they should as per the mod. However, the check engine light came on and momentarily my fuel gage blanked to empty. Very odd, could this mod have done something to cause an electrical/computer problem?

2nd Thing:
I went to Jiffy Lube for an oil change, and finally switched over to full synthetic oil. As soon as the check engine light came on I checked the gas cap, oil level, oil filter, and oil pan underneath to see if they fucked anything up. I couldn't see anything.

I did BOTH things on Saturday and drove it Saturday night and Sunday. Then I didn't drive it until tonight(Weds) when suddennly the check engine light came on, then driving back home on base the fuel gage zeroed and returned, then parked her and am now typing this seeking help.

Anyone have any input??

Last edited by BrettDez; 09-30-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you wash under the hood at all? Check the 3 plugs that go into the main CPU. (Divers side front corner.) Mine will act up when I pressure wash under the hood and water will get into the connectors. Just unplug them and blow them out with air.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't get them wet anytime recently. But, I tried that anyway.

Didn't fix anything...fuel gage spazzed out again on a test run and the check engine light returned even after unplugging the battery.

This sucks...

It seems odd the fuel gage is dropping to zero and returning to normal with the check engine light....

Last edited by BrettDez; 09-30-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Brett,
Un-do the side marker mod, and see if things go back to normal.

I can't imagine its the oil change...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, undoing the mod is not as easy done as said. I don't have access to any soldering kit or any tools besides my basic set I keep in the Jeep. I'd have to add wire too because cutting it again will make it too short. I can do it, but again, the fuel gage acting funny and the check engine light just doesn't make sense!

It's just attaching the ground from one light to another....it shouldn't cause these symptoms? The mod happening this weekend could have been coincidence. Especially since I drove it 2 days without issue.

Anyone have anything besides guesses?

Last edited by BrettDez; 09-30-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update:

Just did the diagnostic code check:

P0463 - Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit High

Hmmm....couldn't find anything on google that was helpful as to what that means.... I guess I'll take it to the dealership, hopefully it'll be warranty covered and hopefully it'll be done by Friday...was going to drive and visit the parents this weekend(one of the few chances I'll get being getting moved away from home by the Navy...again).

If anyone knows anything about this and can fill me in on any info, it'd be appreciated. I always prefer to know as much as possible before talking to the stealership.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 PM
JK Junkie

Well it could all be bad luck. But not to rule out Jiffy Lube. My dad took his truck in a few years ago and long story short. They sabotaged some stuff underneath. I don't know if they can access the Fuel sending unit wires to do anything. But like I said anything is possible w/ some people.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I really hope that isn't what happened, because then it wouldn't be warranty covered if they see physical damage...

That would infuriate me to no end if jiffy lube had something to do with this....

I will be heading in to the dealership today if I can. Anyone else have any idea what that could be or entail in fixing?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone?

Could the side marker mod have screwed with the fuel level sensor voltage?
Old 10-01-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrettDez
Anyone?

Could the side marker mod have screwed with the fuel level sensor voltage?
Does this help? Your code.

Quick Reply: Side Marker Light Mod gone awry? Or something else?